CICA Board of Director's Meeting—Minutes

July 6, 1999

 

The meeting began at 7:30 p.m. at the pavilion

 

BOARD OF DIRECTORS PRESENT: Neil Barr, Dave Byler,  Les Fritz, Andrea Gilde, Rob Green, Marty Smith, Frank Strimel, Dick Ullman, Jim Weber.

 

ABSENT: Tom Cobley, Donna Hinkle, Phil Tkacik

 

Committee Members & Guests Present: Fred & Gail Berkeihiser, Ken Knapp, Peter Goodwin, Barry Miller, Mike Szep, Sr.

      Cecil County Sheriff Sergeant Bill Morgan

 

PRESIDENT’S REPORT:

·        All committee chairs should prepare a report for next month’s annual meeting.

·        Cecil County Sheriff Sergeant Bill Morgan spoke regarding the new expanded coverage by the Sheriff’s department.  They are now covering the same area as the state police on a regular basis.  Sgt. Morgan has our area and is our contact person for all non-emergency questions and calls.  Emergencies should be directed to 911.  Sgt. Morgan can be reached by calling 410-398-3344

·        Basketball Court & Shuffleboard Court voting results:  77 Ballots were received, a 38.5% return rate.  The ballots were tallied by Barry Miller, Rob Green & Neil Barr.  Results as follows:

 

Basketball Court

56 in favor

20 opposed

Shuffleboard Court

68 in favor

9 opposed

Comments included on the ballots were read.  Comments ranged from very positive statements to desires to have the money spent on other areas such as improving the roads, beach & harbor.  Others expressed concerns about noise, poor conduct, safety of the volleyball players, low usage, outsiders coming into our community, aesthetics.  Some felt that tennis court supplies & fittings should be added.  Others thought that more discussion & a longer voting period was needed.  Several people expressed concern about the line on the ballot that reads “An unreturned ballot will be considered a non-objection to the project”.

 

Correspondence Report: The following correspondence was received:

·        A letter from the Burkhart’s stating their opinion on a variety of issues.  It will be posted on the pavilion and harbor bulletin boards, along with their previous, similar letter, for 30 days.

·        Letters were sent from Bill Dryden to 2 residents regarding their children’s dangerous and destructive behavior at the harbor area.

·        Ed & Nancy Turner sent a final report on the Relay for Life.  $1650 was raised.  Details to be posted in the newsletter.

 

SECRETARY’S REPORT:  The minutes of the 6/8/99 meeting were approved with the following change on the last line of the first page.  The second use of the word minutes was changed to “meeting”.

 

BASKETBALL/SHUFFLEBOARD Court Discussion:  Peter Goodwin felt that the community should have been surveyed to prioritize needs/wants & then proceeded if a basketball court was high on the list.  Les pointed out that when a change in usage is proposed, the by-laws state that the Board of Directors should discuss the idea and then make a decision.  If the decision is favorable, the board must then seek the approval of the general membership through a mailed ballot.  If the response from the membership is favorable, then the motion can proceed.  This procedure was followed.

 

      Peter also suggested that the matter be discussed at the annual meeting.  Les pointed out that we have already done a ballot and the results were almost 3 to 1 in favor.  More discussion would discount those votes, as well as the expense of the mailing.  Also, we have received 77 ballots and the annual meeting is generally not that well attended.

 

Andrea suggested that the tennis court fittings be included, but it was feared that the size of the court would need to be much bigger and the basketball net poles at each end would be hazardous to tennis players.

 

      Dave Byler suggested that we do another community survey for future projects since the last one was ten years ago.   Les plans to do this.

 

TREASURER’S REPORT:  The monthly report was approved as submitted.  

      Under the special projects budget, $175 was spent in addition to the original $1600 for the harbor float.  We need to vote on whether to include this money in the special projects budget or to take it out of the general harbor budget.  Tabled to old business.

 

      The loan for the new tractor ended up at a rate of 7.9%, not 6.9%, due to the time gap in between the financing rate offer and when we actually made the purchase.  The monthly payments will be $508.76.

 

COMMITTEE REPORTS:  (Contributor’s name and/or committee chairperson’s name shown in parentheses following report.)

 

Architectural Review:  Nothing is currently under consideration.(Barry Miller)

 

Beach:  The missing life preserver has been replaced.

Clean up day was very successful and productive, with many positive comments on the bathrooms.  There is a Friday/Monday schedule for bathroom cleaning.  Many buckets of rocks were hauled from the swimming area, but the long lasting effect has been minimal.  Scraping the area at low tide might have some effect, but it may also cause more sand loss.  Larry supports the future consideration of at least one jetty.

 

The broken swing was repaired.  Volleyball is in full swing with good participation.

 

Phil Tkacik is taking over as chair of the beach committee, with Larry remaining on the committee and in charge of the volleyball program.  (Larry Kramer)

 

Erosion:  We should continue with Edward Howell’s proposal as his contact from Virginia will be much more expensive and require a longer and more difficult permitting process. (Frank Strimel)

 

4th of July:  $1100 profit was made.  A report will be given next month. (Neil Barr for Tom Cobley )

 

Grass Mowing:  3 lot owner remain unpaid.  (Dick Ullman)

 

Harbor:  Grass on slope is growing.  The broken roller on the floating dock was repaired.  (Neil Barr for Bill Dryden)

 

Historical:  Nothing to report (Rob Green for Audrey Buck)

 

Legal:  Nothing to report (Dave Byler)

 

Maintenance:  Nothing to report (John Bates)

 

Membership:  212 paid memberships to date. (Les Fritz)

 

Newsletter:  Copy is due today.  The newsletter will be ready in about 1 week.(Andrea Gilde)

 

Nominating: All six candidates are still willing to run.  No new names have been added to the list. (Jim Weber)

 

Roads:  A proposal was sent to Dennis Reynolds to obtain the ground asphalt millings as our road cover.  Over the next year we will be getting approximately 60 loads of the material.  Details on order of coverage will be in the newsletter.  Ken Knapp suggested that we also roll the material to make it smoother and prevent washboarding.  This is being considered.  (Mike Szep)

 

Social:  There may be a social event at the harbor this month, but no plans are in place at this time.(Sue Seeley)

 

Town Watch:  No incidents to report.  There will be an open house for town watch members at the Weber’s.  Sgt. Morgan plans to attend.  The CB equipment was sold at the 4th of July silent auction for $45.  (Jim Weber)

 

Tractor:  The new tractor was delivered on 7/1/99 and put into service.  The old tractor was picked up.  The new tractor draw bar needs to be lowered to match the height of the mower deck.  The rear wheels need to be filled with calcium and inverted for stability.  The cost was included in the original price.  Until we get some trimming done, some lots will not be able to be cut as close to trees as before because of the height of the cab.  Some lot owners have agreed to cut to a height of 10 feet.  Others we will have to do as soon as possible.(Marty Smith)

 

 

 

OLD BUSINESS

 

BASKETBALL COURT SIZE:  We have a choice of the court to be 35x60 ft. or 45x60ft.  Since there was no opposition to the smaller size, that was chosen at a somewhat lower price than the original.  It was also decided to use a smaller shuffleboard court size of 52 feet long.  The possibility of a locker system for storage of shuffleboard equipment was also discussed, but was tabled until we actually have some equipment to store.

 

1999-2000 BUDGET:  The reworked budget plan includes the tractor payments and an assumption of dues increase to $65.  Jim Weber moved that the CICA dues be increased to $65 per year.  Dick Ullman seconded.  All approved.

 

      Jim Weber moved that we accept the new budget as submitted by the Treasurer.  Dave Byler seconded.  All approved.

 

      It was noted that the presentation of the dues increase at the annual meeting and newsletter should include a list of recent accomplishments as well as a reminder that our dues have not been raised in about 10 years.

 

NEW BUSINESS

 

We received a letter from the North East Fire Department requesting a contribution.  Last year we gave $100.  Andrea Gilde moved that we make the $100 contribution.  Neil Barr seconded.  All approved.

 

Marty Smith moved that we allocate the $175 additional spent on the floating dock to the special projects budget.  Dave Byler seconded.  All approved.

 

Frank Strimel noted that the gypsy moth population has been excessive this year and wondered if the bug spraying program could include a chemical for this.  Les & Frank will investigate.

 

Dave Byler noted that more grass seed is needed at the filled in area at the beach.  It will be taken care of in the fall.

 

Andrea Gilde expressed the concern of a resident regarding the length of time it took to get an ambulance here after a recent injury.  The resident had suggested the possibility of a CICA vehicle being purchased to transport injured parties.  As with previous discussions regarding medical equipment, there are too many problems involving training, access, liability, and further injury.

 

CLOSE OF BUSINESS:  The next meeting will be the Annual General Meeting held on August 22, 1999 at 3:00 p.m. at the pavilion.  A covered dish social will follow.

 

There being no further business to discuss, the meeting was adjourned at 10:00 p.m.

 

Respectfully submitted,

 

 

 

Andrea Gilde, Secretary

 

CC:  Committee Chairpersons

        Elk Neck State Park Rangers