CICA Board of Director's Meeting—Minutes

October 26, 1999

 

The meeting began at 7:30 p.m. at the pavilion

 

BOARD OF DIRECTORS PRESENT: Barbara Barr, Dave Byler, Tom Cobley, Les Fritz, Andrea Gilde, Rob Green, Ken Knapp,  Mike Szep, Sr., Dick Ullman, Jim Weber, Art Wood.

 

ABSENT:  Frank Strimel

 

Committee Members & Guests Present:  John Bates, Ed & Nancy Turner

 

PRESIDENT’S REPORT:  A rental property on Darrel Rd. was vacated; the tenants left behind two cats.  The property owner was contacted, but the situation does not seem to be resolved.

 

      The newsletter was distributed.  Some survey results have already been received.

 

            Correspondence Report: The following correspondence was received:

·        A letter was received from Ward Keever informing us that the contractor hired to build the shuffleboard court has backed out of the deal.  A new contractor is being sought.

·        A letter was received from the Cecil County government regarding the upcoming national census.  It stressed the importance of accurate and complete reporting of the population in order to receive available funding.  A note will be included in the next newsletter.

 

 

SECRETARY’S REPORT:  The minutes of the 9/28/99 meeting were approved as submitted.

 

TREASURER’S REPORT:  The monthly report was approved as submitted. 

 

COMMITTEE REPORTS:  (Contributor’s name and/or committee chairperson’s name shown in parentheses following report.)

 

Architectural Review:  4 of the 5 new homes approved are currently under construction (Les Fritz for Barry Miller)

 

Beach:  Garbage pickup has stopped for the season so there should only be one garbage can left at the beach. 

Several maintenance items need attention:

·        The seesaw is completely broken & needs to be replaced.

·        One swing is broken & needs to be replaced.  The other swings should be tested.

·        The picnic tables need to come in under the pavilion & be locked up.

·        The heater needs to have its annual service

·        The water supply needs to be shut off.

 

If we get a good turnout for mooring pick up day, some workers may be diverted to the beach as a good portion of the moorings are already up.

 

The pole & basket on the basketball court should go up this weekend.  (John Bates for Larry Kramer)

 

Email & Website:  Some CICA members are beginning to sign up to the email server.  The next newsletter will be distributed electronically to those who have subscribed.

The website committee has had a training on the Front Page program.  (Andrea Gilde for Ray Perry)

 

Erosion:  There has been some erosion, due to Hurricane Floyd, on the Jacob’s Nose area.  We need to investigate how to repair the damage. (Ken Knapp for Frank Strimel)

 

Grass Mowing:  All but one lot owner has paid.  (Dick Ullman)

 

Harbor:  Saturday, October 30th, is mooring pull day.  As of 10./26, 30 moorings have been removed, leaving approximately 38 to go.  Twelve boats remain on the moorings & their owners are being contacted.  There are also some Sunfish & inflatable dinghies, which must be removed to provide room for the floating docks.  Everyone is encouraged to assist the Harbormaster on Saturday so that all remaining moorings and the floating docks can be removed thereby bring down the curtain on another successful Chesapeake Isle boating season.  (Jim Weber for Bill Dryden)

 

Historical:  No report given (Audrey Buck)

 

Legal:  Nothing to report  (Dave Byler)

 

Maintenance:  Brush removal is ongoing.  The dumpsters have been a great help & the county has let us know that we can get one just about whenever we need it, as long as we give advance notice.  A letter of thanks will be sent to the commissioners.(John Bates)

 

Membership:  225 paid members, the highest amount in 4 or 5 years. We are currently out of directories, so a few more will be printed up.  (Les Fritz)

 

Roads:  Frank Strimel will get barrels for salt & sand.  Some have questioned whether the road material can be rolled smoother & make the road less bumpy.  We are looking into whether it will work or make the roads break up.  (Mike Szep)

 

Social:  Halloween party is all set.  There is still no house volunteer for the Wine & Cheese party.  The progressive dinner is definite on 3/4/2000.   (Sue Seeley)

 

Town Watch:  Patrols have continued successfully.  No interruptions to schedule & no major incidents or equipment problems.  The new schedule will take town watch into the next millennium!  A Town Watch social was held on 10/24 to allow volunteers to get to know each other, especially the newer members.  The turnout was light, but a good time was had by all.  (Jim Weber)

 

Tractor:  Nothing to report (John Bates for Marty Smith)

 

 

OLD BUSINESS: 

·        Proposed Change to the By-Laws

The ad-hoc By-Laws committee, consisting of Dave Byler, Andrea Gilde, Mike Szep, Sr., & Art Wood, met on Tuesday, October 5, 1999 to discuss a proposed change to the by-laws.  This proposed change would involve clarifying the Boards policy of, when a proposed major change is being voted on by the community-at-large, counting ballots that are sent out but not returned as non-objections to the Boards recommendation to either proceed with a project or not to proceed.  It had been suggested that the By-Laws be changed to include this procedure as part of the voting process.

 

The committee reached the following recommendations:

 

1.      As long as the procedure is stated on the ballot as to how non-returned ballots will be counted when it goes out to the community-at-large, we are in keeping with the by-laws.  No change to the by-laws is necessary.  If we do change the by-laws, we are then locked into a procedure, which we may not always want to follow.

 

2.      The language that goes out on the ballots should be changed as follows:

 

“A non-returned ballot will be considered a vote in agreement with the boards recommendation (to either proceed or not proceed).”

 

If we state that the non-returned ballots will be counted as votes, we are in keeping with the by-laws, which state that we must have a majority vote of the whole community.  Our previous practice of counting the votes as “non-objections” did not allow for a majority to be counted if a majority did not return their ballots.

 

3.      We should standardize a time-frame for the ballots to be returned, and we are recommending 15 business days from the mailing date.

 

After a small amount of discussion, the committee’s suggestions were agreed to be followed & added to the guidelines.  The committee was dismissed with thanks.

 

 

·        Beach Jetty

The committee, consisting of Tom Cobley, Mike & Mimi Szep, Mike Szep, Jr., John Reber, Ken & Rosie Knapp, John Bates, Art Wood, Peter Goodwin, & Les & Dottie Fritz met & the following proposals were discussed:

1.      The Howell contractor’s proposal to construct a 50’ all stone jetty

2.      John Bates’s proposal to construct a “Crib Jetty”, consisting of a heavy wood framework, supported by pilings, & filled with stone

3.      Peter Goodwin’s suggestion to further investigate the possibility of planting grass as a way to gather sand, mentioned by DNR.

 

Mimi Szep presented some information she had received from a contractor named Lattrell, who has been responsible for the design of several jetties in the bay.  He recommended a design for a small test “jetty” to give us an indication of the amount of sand that might be moving across the area.  Several other ideas were tossed around, including snow fencing, tires & cement blocks.

 

The following actions are planned:

  1. To pick up on Mr. Lattrell’s idea of determining sand movement.  A subcommittee (Mike Szep, Sr., Mike Szep, Jr., Art Wood, John Bates, John Reber, & Tom Cobley) will followup.
  2. Ken & Rose Knapp will contact the builder currently constructing the revetment next to the state park swim area to see if they would be interested in designing & building a jetty for us.
  3. Peter Goodwin will make further contact with DNR representative & invite him to meet with us in the near future.
  4. Peter will also try to get close enough (by boat) to jetties off of Kent Island to photograph them.  Others have also volunteered to try to photograph various jetties.
  5. Mimi Szep contacted a company called Kingfisher who volunteered to come here, examine our situation, & make a recommendation.
  6. Before any plan is seriously considered, we need solid data on design, timeline, materials, & costs

 

The committee would like to proceed with the “test jetty” and requested an allocation of $100 to have Mr. Lattrell consult on this matter.  Barbara Barr moved for a motion to use $100 of the Beach Committee budget.  Art Wood seconded, all approved.

 

 

NEW BUSINESS

  1. The building boom on Caldwell Road has resulted in some building materials being placed too far into the community property right of way – creates a driving hazard.  Also, the roads are being torn up by all the trucks.  Les will speak to the property owner and suggest that the contractor be asked to pay for a load of millings to spread over the damaged area.
  2. In many places in the community, new satellite dishes are being placed too close to the road or right of way.  However, this seems to be the only place that the property owner is able to get reception and has no other choice.
  3. A resident wants to erect some kind of tent or open carport on his property to store a boat or equipment.  Since this property has a house on it, the carport will be treated like a shed & there is no reason to object.
  4. Ed & Nancy Turner expressed an interest in forming a “Relay for Life” team for a second year.  They requested using the community name, pavilion, mail tubes, announcements in newsletters, etc. again.  Art Wood moved that they be allowed to do so.  Ken Knapp seconded.  All approved.   There will be an information meeting and brunch at the Turners on Saturday, December 11 at 10:30 am for all who are interested.
  5. Our road falls too close to a resident’s property line.  There is not enough of a grass border & the resident is using the “extra” millings that do not get packed down to help form a barrier & keep people from driving on his grass.  However, too much piled up will create a hazard, especially for the tractor or others driving during a snowstorm.  Les will contact the property owner to discuss alternatives.

 

 

 

CLOSE OF BUSINESS:  The next meeting will be held on December 1, 1999 at 7:30 p.m. at the pavilion.

 

There being no further business to discuss, the meeting was adjourned at 9:30 p.m.

 

Respectfully submitted,

 

 

 

Andrea Gilde, Secretary

 

CC:      Committee Chairpersons

            Elk Neck State Park Rangers