CICA Board of Director's Meeting—Minutes

December 1, 1999

 

The meeting began at 7:30 p.m. at the pavilion

 

BOARD OF DIRECTORS PRESENT: Barbara Barr, Tom Cobley, Les Fritz, Andrea Gilde, Rob Green, Ken Knapp, Frank Strimel, Mike Szep, Sr., Jim Weber, Art Wood.

 

ABSENT:  Dave Byler, Dick Ullman

 

Committee Members & Guests Present:  Jim Abel, John Bates, Bill Dryden, Barry Miller.  

 

PRESIDENT’S REPORT:

            Correspondence Report: The following correspondence was sent:

·        Two letters were sent to property owners delinquent in paying their lawn mowing fees

·        To Richard & Lauren Walsh regarding the road outside their property under construction.  The building materials & trucks were tearing the road up.  The problem has been cleaned up.

·        A letter was sent to the county commissioners & Mr. Keithly & Mr. Orr of the Roads Department thanking them for the use of the dumpster during our recent cleanup effort.

·        A revised “Roads” letter has been developed to clarify CICA’s role in road maintenance for mortgage company usage when buying or selling properties.

 

SECRETARY’S REPORT:  The minutes of the 10/26/99 meeting were approved as submitted

 

TREASURER’S REPORT:  The monthly report was approved as submitted.

 

COMMITTEE REPORTS:  (Contributor’s name and/or committee chairperson’s name shown in parentheses following report.)

 

Architectural Review:  Two approvals for construction.  One for a deck, and one for a new construction.  Both projects are under way.  One property owner expressed concern that a new construction  is too close to his house, but the new construction is within the legal & Chesapeake Isle limits.(Barry Miller)

 

Beach:  Jim Abel is the new beach chairperson. 

2nd basketball backboard still not up.  Some re-grading still needs to be done around the court to prevent a sharp drop off at the edge.  The seesaw needs to be replaced & the picnic tables need to be chained up.  (Jim Abel)

 

Email & Website:  Nothing to report.

 

Erosion:  Jacobs Nose area still needs repair work due to Hurricane.  (Frank Strimel)

 

Grass Mowing:  All have paid except 2 mentioned earlier.  (Dick Ullman)

 

Harbor:  The mooring pull went well.  The yoke on the floating dock needs to be rebuilt, Bill has the supplies.  A roller cushion is going on the floating dock.

 

There has been some vandalism & theft at the harbor:

·        A dinghy was stolen on Halloween

·        A sunfish is missing

·        A dinghy was damaged while on the dinghy rack

·        Nighttime deer poaching.  An injured deer was found in the harbor.  The rangers came & took it away.  Bill also found a bloody hunting arrow in his yard. 

 

After some discussion, it was decided to chain off the harbor area at night ONLY DURING THE OFF SEASON.  Bill and Neil Barr will handle attaching & removing the chain each day.  The park rangers will be contacted to discussions options to prevent poaching.  (Bill Dryden)

 

Historical:  No report given. (Audrey Buck)

 

Legal:  Mimi Szep will work with Dave Byler on a legal matter regarding the roads. (Les Fritz for Dave Byler)

 

Maintenance:  Requesting another dumpster for brush cleanup after the holidays. (John Bates)

 

Membership:  The Nicholas’ have moved out, the Valetutti’s house has sold.  The 2000 dues letter, boat registration form & invoice will be ready for the next meeting.  (Les Fritz)

 

Newsletter:  Copy due by next meeting, 1/4/2000 (Andrea Gilde)

 

Roads:  The 1995 letter regarding the road maintenance agreement with the non-Chesapeake Isle section of Mason Lane was distributed.  The residents, at that time, gave CICA permission to maintain the roads with gravel, crusher run, plowing, etc.  Les will strongly urge all those residents to pay dues, & CICA will continue to honor the agreement.  Frank Strimel has been scraping & smoothing the millings to reduce bumpiness.  He is getting the large barrels for salt & sand.  A complaint was received about a property owner piling stones & millings on the edge of his property.  The property owner is doing so because drivers cut too close and end up on his lawn.  This creates hazards for drivers, nighttime walkers, & the tractor driver, particularly if we have a heavy snow.  We are trying to work out a better, less hazardous solution.  The property owner is open to other options (Mike Szep)

 

Social:  The Wine & Cheese is on the 5th at the Bates’.  Christmas Caroling at the pavilion on 12/18.  Call Tom Cobley to arrange Santa visits.(Barbara Barr for Sue Seeley)

 

Town Watch:  Except for the issues discussed under the Harbor report, no other problems to report.  (Jim Weber)

 

Tractor:  Nothing to report (Marty Smith)

 

 

 

OLD BUSINESS – The surveys are coming in.  No unusual requests or complaints.

 

Beach ErosionPhotos were displays of various jetty/embankment projects in the area, showing various levels of sand retention. The committee met with Mr. Latrell  & a representative from DNR. DNR recommends a stone & grass embankment parallel to the beach.  This type of project will help to prevent further erosion but will not build sand.  The committee voted against it and the full board concurred at this meeting.

 

The crib-type jetty, suggested by John Bates in a previous meeting, is not allowed to be built in Maryland.

 

Mr. Latrell, who has designed projects like this in the past, has recommended a jetty similar to the one suggested by Mr. Howell, but using a longer jetty with larger, heavier stone.

 

If approved by the board, the Beach Erosion committee voted in favor of hiring Mr. Latrell as a consultant to design & plan a jetty for our beach.  The committee will then seek estimates from local contractors for having such a jetty built.  The cost to hire Mr. Latrell for the initial design & plan is $600.  Andrea Gilde moved that we spend the $600 and hire Mr. Latrell for this project.  Barbara Barr seconded.  All approved.   Motion carried.

 

NEW BUSINESS

 

      Nominating Committee – Suggested that only 4 candidates be brought forth by the Nominating Committee for the board elections, with all voluntary nominations being accepted as well.  Reasons for this suggestion include: 

·        Often it is hard to get 4 people to run, let alone six.  After all that work to get more people to run (often reluctantly), two don’t get elected

·        Hurt feelings by those who are convinced to run, but then don’t get elected

·        Drop out of a good member or volunteer due to those hurt feelings & embarrassment

The board members will think about the issues for discussion during the next meeting.

 

            Phone CompanyWhy are they putting in all those flags & painting orange lines?  Maybe upgrading the cable.

            Man & Woman of the Year – Nominations for the annual award will be discussed at the next meeting.

 

 

 

CLOSE OF BUSINESS:  The next meeting will be held on January 4th, 2000 at 7:30 p.m. at the pavilion.

 

There being no further business to discuss, the meeting was adjourned at 9:40 p.m..

 

Respectfully submitted,

 

 

 

Andrea Gilde, Secretary

 

CC:  Committee Chairpersons

        Elk Neck State Park Rangers