CICA Board of Director's Meeting—Minutes

August 8, 2000

 

The meeting began at 7:35 p.m. at the pavilion

 

BOARD OF DIRECTORS PRESENT: Barbara Barr, Dave Byler, Tom Cobley, Les Fritz, Andrea Gilde, Rob Green, Ken Knapp, Dick Ullman, Jim Weber, Art Wood

ABSENT: Frank Strimel, Mike Szep, Sr.,

 

Committee Members & Guests Present: Jim Abel, John Bates, Fred Berkeihiser, Glenn Culler

 

PRESIDENT’S REPORT:

            Frank Strimel is planning to resign from the board.  He has one year left in his term.

 

Correspondence Report: The following correspondence was received:

·        A letter from Ward Keever commenting on the condition of the roads & volunteering to help

·        A letter from the county commissioners volunteering to come speak to us regarding a new tax that will be levied on new houses built.

 

SECRETARY’S REPORT:  The minutes of the 7/10/00 were accepted as written.

 

TREASURER’S REPORT:  The monthly report was approved as submitted.

 

COMMITTEE REPORTS:  (Contributor’s name and/or committee chairperson’s name shown in parentheses following report.)

 

Architectural Review:  A shed or barn is being built on a property.  We have not seen any plans for this structure.  (Les Fritz for Barry Miller)

Beach:  The shuffleboard area was staked out, then the stakes disappeared.  It will be redone.  The freezer door still won’t stay closed, John Bates plans to put a hasp on to keep it shut.  One basketball net was replaced.  (Jim Abel)

 

Email & Website: John Reber has taken over as chair for Ray Perry.  Those property owners wishing to receive an updated directory can have one E-mail-ed to them, by sending a request to Chesapeakeisle@yahoo.com.  Those receiving the newsletter via email will no longer get the graphics included.  This will speed up the downloading rate. (Andrea Gilde for John Reber)

 

Erosion:  The vegetation mats placed on Jacob’s Nose are sprouting & growing. (John Bates for Frank Strimel)

 

Grass Mowing:  There are still a few who have not paid. They will get a more strongly worded letter. (Dick Ullman)

 

Harbor:  Security checkpoint was held last weekend.  Most coming to use the boat ramp were Chesapeake Isle residents, but many did not have stickers.  One problem was encountered when a guest of a CICA member tried to use the boat ramp.  They were in possession of a guest pass but were turned away when the “checkpoint person” told them that their “host” had to accompany them.  After speaking with Les, the CICA member was told that their guest should have been allowed to use the ramp as the by-laws state that the host has to be on Chesapeake Isle premises in order for a guest to use the ramp, as the host was.  Those doing security checkpoints and town watch in the future will be made aware of this. (Jim Weber for Bill Dryden)

 

Historical: No report given  (Audrey Buck)

 

Legal:  No report given (Dave Byler)

 

Maintenance:  Nothing to report (John Bates)

 

Membership:  232 paid memberships this year, 8 more than last years total. New directories are being printed only about 5-7 at a time.  There is a possibility that all property owners and renters will receive a new updated directory this year as there have been so many changes since the last one was distributed only 2 years ago.  (Les Fritz)

 

Newsletter:  Nothing to report, the next newsletter will go out in October. (Andrea Gilde)

 

Roads:  We still have not gotten the cold patch.  Frank is not sure where to go get it.  Many residents have complained about the condition of the roads and the lack of maintenance.  It is sure to be a topic of great discussion at the annual meeting.  There is a definite need for a long term plan regarding the future of the roads.  For the short term, however, a group will get together on Saturday, 8/12, and fill in the worst potholes with crusher run.  (Mike Szep)

 

Social:  The 7/21 harbor social was attended by about 40 people.  The next one will be held on 8/18 (Friday).  The next social committee meeting will be held on Monday, 8/21 at 7:30 at the pavilion.

Next meeting is 8/21 at the pavilion, 7:30 p.m. (Barbara Barr for Sue Seeley)

 

Town Watch:  Patrols have continued during the last month with no reportable incidents.  The use of mailed reminders to volunteers is working well with no missed assignments.  The beat-up white Ford Bronco was again spotted during late July and early August.  Everyone should be on the lookout for this vehicle and try to get a plate number, as it is believed that this vehicle was used during the driveway break-ins during June and July.  Kids have been spotted throwing stones at houses and have been told to stop..  Please report any incidents to Jim Weber @ 8018 (Jim Weber)

 

Tractor:  There is a major problem with the clutch on the tractor.  Glenn Culler noticed several weeks ago that a nut on the clutch had been damaged.  We are not sure what happened to the nut or why the clutch stopped working several days ago.  It is going back to the dealer for repairs.  It is hoped that the cost of this repair will be covered by warranty and that the tractor will be back at work soon.  The tractor committee is doing the best it can to get lots mowed during the time the tractor is out of commission.  (John Bates for Marty Smith)

 

OLD BUSINESS

Mail tubes: still need to be installed at some homes.  Les gets to them when he has a chance.

BEACH JETTY:  We received 3 bid proposals, with a wide range of “prices”.  We also received a letter from Peter Goodwin, who observed the “logs” on the beach on a daily basis and took notes as to the accumulation of sand.  He does not believe that the jetty will have a positive effect on sand accumulation.  Board members will take his letter & notes home to read before the next meeting.  John Bates also noted that if the jetties do accumulate sand they may also bring sand into the harbor area, where we don’t want it.

There was some discussion as to the various bid proposals and what (if anything) should be our next step.  Various work in the area performed by the contractors will be observed and Dick Luttrell will be contacted for his opinion.  Different financing options are still to be investigated.  Jim Weber suggested that if we do proceed with the building of the jetty we should also hire a professional engineer to make periodic checks on the work in progress.

Art Wood moved, with Barbara Barr seconding, that the board recommend that we go ahead with the building of two stone groins (jetties), as designed by Dick Luttrell, using Kingfisher Environmental as the contractor.

All ten members of the board present voted to approve.  Motion carried.

Method of payment and financing are still to be researched.  Once a plan to pay for the jetties is in place, the vote will go out to all the property owners for approval.

 

NEW BUSINESS

 

FIREWORKS:  guests of a resident were shooting off fireworks – one landed on the roof of someone else’s house.  The matter was handled between the two residents, but FIREWORKS ARE ILLEGAL IN CHESAPEAKE ISLE AND THE STATE POLICE WILL BE CALLED

 

CLOSE OF BUSINESS:  The next meeting will the annual meeting to be held on August 28, 2000 at 3:00 p.m. at the pavilion.

 

There being no further business to discuss, the meeting was adjourned at TIME.

 

Respectfully submitted,

 

 

 

Andrea Gilde, Secretary

 

CC:      Committee Chairpersons

            Elk Neck State Park Rangers