CICA Board of Director's Meeting—Minutes

November 14, 2000

 

The meeting began at 7:30 p.m. at the Wood’s.

 

BOARD OF DIRECTORS PRESENT: Barbara Barr, Dave Byler, Tom Cobley, Andrea Gilde, Rob Green, Harry Hite, Verne Orndorff, Mike Szep, Sr., Dick Ullman, Art Wood.

 

ABSENT: Ken Knapp, Jim Weber

 

Committee Members & Guests Present: John Bates, Bill Dryden, Glenn Culler, Les Fritz

 

PRESIDENT’S REPORT:

            Correspondence Report: The following correspondence was received:

·        A letter from Bud Easler, offering to donate a hitch & rake that can attach to the tractor (Glenn Culler accepted the donation & will pick up the equipment soon.)

·        2 letters from Robert Hartman, regarding a conflict with a neighbor over boat storage & requesting assistance from the board in resolving it.

·        A letter from Cindy Ward, offering a lot for sale to be posted in the newsletter

·        An E-mail from Richard D’Onoflio regarding a change of address

A condolence card was sent to the Embon family.

 

SECRETARY’S REPORT:  The minutes from the 10-10-00 meeting were accepted with the following addition:  Glenn Culler will be added to the Heavy Equipment committee, and Dave Byler will serve as the chair of that committee. 

 

TREASURER’S REPORT:  The monthly report was approved as submitted.

 

COMMITTEE REPORTS:  (Contributor’s name and/or committee chairperson’s name shown in parentheses following report.)

 

Architectural Review:  No report given (Barry Miller)

 

Beach:  The pavilion has been winterized, and the water has been turned off.  (John Bates for Jim Abel)

 

Email & Website: An error regarding the date of the mooring pull was corrected. (John Reber)

 

Erosion:  Nothing to report (John Bates)

 

Grass Mowing:  Nothing to report (Dick Ullman)

 

Harbor:  There was a great turnout for Mooring Pull day, and a great deal was accomplished.  The mooring puller will be brought in this week as we close another boating season.  Thanks to all that came out to help, and especially Chet Hallett for the use of his tractor to deliver the individual moorings.  As always, the “Seasoned Citizens” worked hard during the week before the mooring pull, and got about 80% of the moorings out of the water prior to the delivery day.  Last, but not least, thanks to Karen Dryden and Barbara Barr for providing coffee and donuts to the troops.  Best wishes for a good holiday season and good thoughts for Spring and the 2001 boating season.  (Bill Dryden)

 

Historical:  No report given (Audrey Buck)

 

Legal:  Nothing to report (Dave Byler)

 

Maintenance:  Nothing to report (John Bates)

 

Membership:  We now have 244 paid members, a new record.  That number includes 4 new arrivals.  We are currently out of guidebooks (containing the rules & bylaws & restrictive covenants, as well as the directory); the revised guidebooks are ready to go with the exception of the Heavy Equipment policy, which is still being revised.  However, all the information is available on the website (www.Chesapeakeisle.org).  The newsletter delivery committee has volunteered to fold & deliver the letter announcing the results of the jetty project. (Les Fritz)

 

Newsletter:  Nothing to report (Andrea Gilde)

 

Roads:  The Basin Dr. sign is missing and needs to be replaced. (Glenn Culler)

 

Social:  We had a very successful Halloween party.  The next event is the Wine & Cheese (12/3 at the Ulllman’s), followed by Xmas caroling (12/16 at the pavilion), and Santa’s visit (12/24, call Cobley’s by 12/20 to arrange).  The committee may put out a flyer, but there are many homes without mailing tubes, which makes delivery difficult.  It was decided that since we are mailing the jetty letter, we should put in a flyer as well.  (Barbara Barr for Sue Seeley)

 

Town Watch:  No report given (Jim Weber)

 

Tractor:  It has been winterized.  There is some question about whether some of the repairs are being covered under warranty.  (Marty Smith)

 

 

 

OLD BUSINESS

      Tractor Committee: has met & developed a rough draft of the new policy for the Tractor &  Heavy Equipment Committee.  The rough was discussed with some changes being suggested.  The committee will meet & come up with a final version for the next meeting.

 

      Beach Jetty Voting:  A total of 91 ballots were received, with 84 voting in favor and 7 against.  A letter with specific information will go out to all property owners soon.  All in all, we received a great response with many voters offering financial assistance in the form of out right donations and bond pledges.  It is very possible that we will not have to take out a bank loan.  The contract & first payment on the jetty will go out soon, and the work is scheduled to start in January.  The rocks will come in by truck and only 1 road will be used, to minimize wear & tear on the roads.  We will probably also have to cut the swale from the marsh to prevent a washout if we get heavy rain or snow.

 

NEW BUSINESS

      Boat Storage Dispute:  Letters received from Robert Hartman regarding a dispute with his neighbor, Gary Fair, about the placement of the boats in his own driveway.  Hartman claims the boats block his view and wants the boats moved to the rear of the property.  However, Fair cannot move the boats on the side of the house, due to a fence that was recently put up by Hartman.  Fair also does not want to drive the boats around the other way because he does not want to drive them over his drainfield.  Hartman also complains that one of the boats has a FOR SALE sign on it, which he believes goes against the CICA rule of posting a sign on the property.  Hartman believes that the boats should be stored in the back of the property in accordance with the CICA rule that states that boats shall be stored on the back of a lot.  However, this rule is in reference to EMPTY LOTS, not those with a house on them.  Art Wood has already spoken to both parties and finds them both to be unwilling to compromise.  Mr. Hartman wants CICA to take over in his defense, and possibly take legal action if necessary.  However, after some discussion, it was determined that there is no legal action we could take.  If there is any violation, it is against a CICA policy, not a restrictive covenant, and the only recourse we would have is to disallow their membership in the Civic Association.  This does not seem to be a reasonable course of action.  Art will speak to both parties again. 

 

 

CLOSE OF BUSINESS:  The next meeting will be held on Tuesday, 1/9/01 at 7:30 p.m. at the Barr’s.

 

Having no further business to discuss, the meeting was adjourned at 9:50 p.m.

 

Respectfully submitted,

 

 

 

Andrea Gilde, Secretary

 

CC:         Committee Chairpersons

               Elk Neck State Park Rangers