CICA Board of Director's Meeting—Minutes

February 20, 2001


The meeting began at 7:30 p.m. at the Weber’s.


BOARD OF DIRECTORS PRESENT: Dave Byler, Tom Cobley, Andrea Gilde, Rob Green, Harry Hite, Ken Knapp, Mike Szep, Sr., Dick Ullman, Jim Weber,  Art Wood.


ABSENT: Barbara Barr, Verne Orndorff


Committee Members & Guests Present: Les Fritz, John Bates, Barry Miller



            Correspondence Report: The following correspondence was received:

·        A letter from S.G. Lewis, in regard to Marty’s letter about the billing.

The following correspondence was sent

·        Letter written to S.G. Lewis (tractor repair) making offer for settlement of repair bills (no reply was received)

·        2nd letter to S.G. Lewis from Marty Smith re:  billing


SECRETARY’S REPORT:  The minutes from the January 9th, 2001 meeting were accepted as submitted


TREASURER’S REPORT:  The monthly report was approved as submitted.  All bond & loan monies promised for the jetty have been received.  A few pledged donations have yet to be collected.  Some additional donations have been received along with annual memberships.


COMMITTEE REPORTS:  (Contributor’s name and/or committee chairperson’s name shown in parentheses following report.)


Architectural Review: A set of plans for a house with 3 levels above ground was redesigned and approved.  New deck on Harry Hite’s property has been approved pending county variance.  (Barry Miller)


Beach:  Shuffleboard cabinet was built, equipment purchased & stenciled for identification.  Coating for shuffleboard court is under investigation. Jetties are complete.  They have been inspected by the consultant.  Some of the stones are smaller than expected, but seem to be within the guidelines.  The grading & seeding of the beach have yet to be completed. (John Bates for Jim Abel)


Email & Website: The website was moved to a free provider (  We still have the MS Front Page Server extensions, but no database access, so the schedule posted on the home page had to be removed.  Barry Miller has to this point financed all the start-up expenses for the website (total $105) and is requesting reimbursement.  We are also requesting additional money for ongoing expenses.  Other changes to the web:

1.                The email address on the web page was changed from to  This mail is automatically forwarded to Andrea Gilde.

2.                There is an email alias (which also goes to Andrea) for the board
( Anyone else on the board can also have this email forwarded to them.

3.                The cica email list (those who get newsletters, etc delivered by email) is going to change to:  When you send mail to this address it will automatically forward to everyone on the list.  To sign up for this list, send an email to   (or to unsubscribe)

4.                Anyone with email can have an email alias set up for .  Doing this will allow you have email sent to you using You would not have to change your current email address; however if you did change jobs or internet service providers you could still use the  address and have it forward to your new email address. 

This information will be summarized for the upcoming newsletter.  (Barry Miller for John Reber)


Erosion: Work on the Jacob’s Nose bank needs to be done, as does some areas on the beach to the south of the new jetties.  However, it may be best to wait and see if the new jetties have a positive effect on the area.  (John Bates)


Grass Mowing: Billing to go out soon.  Rates for some multiple-sized lots may have to increase.  There will be no increase for other lots.  There are a few outstanding mowing fees to be paid.  (Dick Ullman)


Harbor:  Nothing to report (Bill Dryden)


Historical:  No report given (Audrey Buck)


Legal: Nothing to report (Dave Byler)


Maintenance:  Keys for the bathhouse have been ordered.  We have picked up the donated equipment from Bud Easler.  (John Bates)


Membership:  131 Paid members as of today.  46 Bathhouse keys ordered.  53 Boat/harbor forms.  A few jetty project donations have been sent in with dues.  There was also a request for better road maintenance on Bennett Ave.(Les Fritz)


Newsletter:  Next one coming out in April.  (Andrea Gilde)


Roads:  Culvert is collapsing near Bates’ driveway and the collapsed area is encroaching on the roadway.  Needs to be dug up and refilled.  May need more repairs & pipe replacement.  (John Bates for Glenn Culler)


Social:  Plaque is ready for Spring Dinner.  Not a lot of sign ups for Progressive Dinner (Sue Seeley)


Town Watch:  2 poaching incidents reported during late December and early January.  Other than that, very quiet and the equipment has functioned well.  A new schedule for March/April/May is in the works and will be issued next week.  Tom Cobley reported a person laying in the road while he was on patrol.  The person disappeared & was not located.  (Jim Weber)


Tractor:  We have been receiving repair bills from S.G. Lewis, our tractor dealer, of about $3500.  Marty Smith has sent a letter stating that the bills will not be paid unless explanation for the repairs, which should be covered under warranty.  Rob Green sent a letter stating that the bills were being protested, not ignored.  Lewis replied to Marty’s letter, claiming that CICA members had approved the work and threatened to send the matter to collection.  However, no one from CICA authorized any repairs that were not covered under warranty.  The response to Marty’s letter was to send a very vague list of repairs to clean the fuel tank (which Marty believes was never removed from the tractor during the second set of repairs), as well as fees for light bulbs.  The letter requests payment for the balance not paid by New Holland for covered warranty repairs.  However, the repairs should have been totally covered, and S.G. Lewis needs to absorb the excess costs.  CICA’s response was to list what charges Marty feels are legitimate.  These include the pick up & delivery of the tractor (although they only delivered it back to us it would not have been covered) as well as cleaning the fuel tank (the shop claims we got grass in the fuel tank, and we claim it was made dirty during the first set of repairs to the clutch (when the fuel tank was taken off).  Regardless of how it happened, the fuel tank was cleaned.  We will not to pay charges for repairs that should have been covered under warranty (we never agreed to any repairs that were not covered under warranty).  Art Wood sent a letter stating that we are willing to pay $300 for cleaning fuel tank & $120 for pick up & delivery.  So far we have not received a reply.(Marty Smith)



      Jetty:  How can we keep people off the jetties to keep them safe and reduce our liability?  Post wooden “Keep Off” signs to reduce danger & liability.  There is no requirement to have lights at the end of the jetties, and having them there may cause more of a problem if the bulbs burn out.  The ends of the jetties are well within the swim area and no boats should even come close to them.  Sand may be brought in, if necessary, for the beach.  However, it seems that some sand has already started to accumulate.


      Tractor Policy:  A draft will be available for the next meeting (see attachment at the end of these minutes.  Please review for discussion at the next meeting.


      CPR/Defibrillator:  The expense and requirements for upkeep would be too stringent to maintain the AED.  It needs to be checked on a daily basis, as well as have an association with a physician who would check out the device on a regular basis.  However, we should pursue CPR course for the community.  Harry Hite will pursue what is necessary, and there will be a notice in the spring newsletter to get a trainer & set up a date for a class.


      Chesapeake Isle Sign Design Contest:  Mike Szep will have information available for next meeting & newsletter


      Mowing Fees:  Should we increase fees for the larger multi-lot properties?  John Bates & Dick Ullman will discuss matter with Jim Abel & figure fair prices for unusual properties.


      Beach Erosion:  There is erosion south of the jetty to the culvert pipe.  Erosion has increased from last year.  It may need to be filled in with stone at some point, but we should wait and see how the jetties affect the area.    



      Email/Website:  Reimburse Barry Miller for website startup costs – Barry Miller will not take reimbursement for the initial startup costs of 2 years ago, but will be reimbursed for transfer & Front Page extension fee. Motion carried to pay $65.  Issues for continuing the website domain name of will don’t have to be decided until July, and they will go in the next budget year.


      Shuffleboard Court:  We will charge $2 for the key, annually.  List of rules & regulations will be posted.  For this year, keys will be sold at CICA events.


      Brush:  Brush was piled behind the maintenance shed and the sign was posted that we will accept no brush.  Art Wood received complaint since we have always allowed people to pile the brush for burning or for the dumpster. We decided last year that we would no longer burn brush…we will try to get a dumpster for cleanup day.  It is still the policy of CICA to no longer burn brush and we will try to get a dumpster whenever possible.


      New Camp to be built at the old Camp Chesapeake (next to Bower’s Conference Center):  Learning center for ecology & bay education.  A representative of the board should attend any meetings.


      Airstrip for Commercial Traffic at APG:  should not affect CICA airspace.  Current air traffic does not.


CLOSE OF BUSINESS:  The next meeting will be held on Tuesday,  March 20th, 2001 at 7:30 p.m. at the Ullman’s.


Having no further business to discuss, the meeting was adjourned at 10:00 p.m.


Respectfully submitted,




Andrea Gilde, Secretary


CC:         Committee Chairpersons

               Elk Neck State Park Rangers