CICA Board of Director's Meeting—Minutes

Tuesday, June 19th, 2001


The meeting began at 7:30 p.m. at the pavilion


BOARD OF DIRECTORS PRESENT: Barbara Barr, Dave Byler, Tom Cobley, Andrea Gilde, Rob Green, Harry Hite, Ken Knapp, Verne Orndorff, Mike Szep, Sr., Dick Ullman, Art Wood.


ABSENT: Jim Weber


Committee Members & Guests Present: Jim Abel, John Bates, Fred Berkeihiser, Bill Dryden, Mats Sanden, Glenn Culler, Bill Shaw.



            Correspondence Report: No correspondence was received

      The following correspondence was sent:

·        A letter to S. G. Lewis Co. restating our previously rejected offer to settle the disputed tractor bills.

SECRETARY’S REPORT:  The minutes from the May 23, 2001 meeting were accepted as written.


TREASURER’S REPORT:  The monthly report was approved as submitted.


COMMITTEE REPORTS:  (Contributor’s name and/or committee chairperson’s name shown in parentheses following report.)


Architectural Review:  No report given.  (Barry Miller)


Beach:  We had a good turnout on cleanup day, with all tasks being accomplished.  We are still waiting for the county officials to provide guidelines for how we are to proceed on the beach.  See complete report under old business. (Jim Abel)


Email & Website: Nothing to report (John Reber)


Erosion:  See beach report under Old business.  (Ken Knapp)


Grass Mowing:  Several still have not yet paid their 2001 mowing fees.  Most are habitual “late payers” and we feel we will get paid eventually.  One homeowner owes fees for this year as well as for last year.  We are considering taking legal action to attach a lien to the property.  This way, the debt must be paid before the property gets sold.  (Dick Ullman)


Harbor:  All planned tasks were accomplished on cleanup day.  The kayak /canoe rack was built and is being well used.   (Bill Dryden)


Historical:  No report given (Audrey Buck)


Legal:  Legal action is being pursued in order to recover the grass mowing fees owed by the Coco family.  (Dave Byler)


Maintenance:  No major maintenance issues to report.  (John Bates)


Membership:  To date, there are 222 paid member families.  There are 100 bathhouse keys in circulation, many more than in previous years.  We have also sold 8 keys to the shuffleboard equipment closet and signups for pavilion use are running well ahead of the last few years pace.  Sign on the pavilion bulleting board requesting pavilion use needs to be updated.  (Les Fritz)


Newsletter:  Deadline for copy is July 13th.(Andrea Gilde)


Roads:  The road leading down to the beach needs to be regarded.(Glenn Culler)


Social: Harbor socials have been going well.  Meet Your Neighbor’s Night is ongoing.   (Sue Seeley)


Town Watch: No report given  (Jim Weber)


Tractor:  Tractor is working fine, with one new driver.  We have another draft of the tractor policy to be added to the CICA Guidebook.  It was suggested that as a way of increasing lost mowing fees (due to building on previously unoccupied lots) we should consider the issue of “Contracted Snow Plowing of Driveways”.  Under this plan, anyone wishing to have his or her driveway plowed would pay an as yet undetermined fee in advance.  After a snowfall of a certain height, those contracted driveways would be plowed after the community roads have been cleared.  (Dave Byler and John Bates for Marty Smith)


4th of July:  Planning is well under way.  3 new events are planned for this year.


Nominating:  Six candidates have agreed to run for election at the Annual General Meeting in August.  They are:

                        Jim Abel                     Rob Green                      Ward Keever        

            Verne Orndorff          John Reber                     Sue Schooley        

OLD BUSINESS  -- Bill Shaw attended the meeting, in regard to an unsightly box trailer being parked in his neighbor’s yard.  The neighbor claims that the trailer is being used as a storage shed for items for his business, but he plans to put wheels on it and transport it to job sites.  This discussion took place several weeks ago but the trailer has not moved.  Mr. Shaw believes that the trailer violates our restrictive covenants, as well as a business item detracting from the residential quality of the neighborhood.  Art Wood will speak with the neighbor.


Beach Berm & Cliff Erosion – The buffer management plan was approved verbally by Joe Johnson, who will also respond in writing.  Areas on the cliff must be seeded & in some cases covered with control mats.  Most work can be accomplished during the fall planting season.  Joe did suggest that we seed & protect with mats now to prevent erosion at the top of the cliff.


As for the Beach berm, Dick Luttrell talked to the state and they indicated the problem was not a tidal/wetlands problem on the beach area/berm, but rather a non-tidal wetlands problem (marsh area).  This was confirmed verbally by Tom Manning, State Inspector.  We will still need a permit to perform the work.  Joe Johnson, after seeing the blowout photos, believes we should try to convince the state of the feasibility of our berm.  Joe was also asked about the actual area of the non-tidal wetlands (marsh area).  He says it is mostly visual, depending on the type of vegetation.  Tom Manning will also be asked about this matter.


The actual location of the 25’ foot necessary buffer will dictate how much berm has to be removed, if required. 


CPR Training – a session will be planned for all CICA members who want to participate on Saturday, October 13th, 2001. 


FY 2001-2001 Budget ­­ -- the budget was resubmitted, with balanced projected income and expenses.  This is the budget that will be voted on at the Annual Meeting in August. 


Heavy Equipment Policy – several minor changes were discussed and will be submitted in a final report at the next meeting.  One major change, contracted snow plowing, will be discussed under new business.






Contracted Snow Plowing – if approved, would be an additional service/fundraising function, and would help offset decreasing mowing revenues.  Those wishing to contract for services would pay in advance (by a predetermined date).  After a snowfall reaching the required depth, contracted driveways would be plowed after the community roads have been cleared.  The tractor/heavy equipment committee will submit guidelines for the next meeting.


Home Based Business – Mats Sanden, of Rolling Ave., submitted a request for a home based business.  The activities of the business would mainly involve reading medical slides.  These slides would be delivered to his home, or the hospital where he works.  There would be no sign, no foot traffic.  The board unanimously approved the request. 


Tractor Trailer – some concern was raised as to a tractor trailer being parked in the neighborhood.  It may be in violation of Cecil County zoning to have such a large vehicle stored in a residential neighborhood, and if it is being used for someone’s business, it may be detracting from the residential character of the neighborhood.  Verne Orndorff will investigate as to the county zoning restrictions and report back at the next meeting.


CLOSE OF BUSINESS:  The next meeting will be held on Tuesday, August 7th at 7:30 p.m. at the pavilion.


Having no further business to discuss, the meeting was adjourned at 9:50 p.m.


Respectfully submitted,




Andrea Gilde, Secretary


CC:      Committee Chairpersons

            Elk Neck State Park Rangers