CICA Board of Director's Meeting—Minutes

August 7, 2001

 

The meeting began at 7:30 p.m. at the Cobley’s

 

BOARD OF DIRECTORS PRESENT: Barbara Barr, Dave Byler, Tom Cobley, Andrea Gilde, Rob Green, Harry Hite, Ken Knapp, Verne Orndorff, Dick Ullman, Art Wood

 

ABSENT: Jim Weber, Mike Szep

 

Committee Members & Guests Present: Les Fritz, Barry Miller, John Bates, Glenn Culler, Jim Abel, Gerry & Barbara Brueckner

 

PRESIDENT’S REPORT:

            Correspondence Report: The following correspondence was received:

·        Fred & Gail Berkeihiser are offering to donate their yard shed to the civic association, however it is currently being lent to a neighbor.  To be discussed later

·        A request from CICA members to have a wedding at the beach/pavilion for about 200 people.

·        A request regarding pipes/drainage.

·        Letter from Jim Weber offering to fill in as harbormaster

·        Letter from Mike Szep regarding fire company/fire hydrant standpipe.

 

The following correspondence was sent:

·        Letter sent to Ray Opdenaker, regarding some unruly guests to his home during a weekend party.

·        Letter sent to Rich Hinkle regarding trailer/shed in the yard.  The matter should be taken care of by the end of the month.

 

SECRETARY’S REPORT:  The minutes of the June 19th meeting were approved as written.

 

TREASURER’S REPORT:  The monthly report was approved as submitted.

 

COMMITTEE REPORTS:  (Contributor’s name and/or committee chairperson’s name shown in parentheses following report.)

 

Architectural Review:  Plans for Killian’s addition are pending approval.  (Barry Miller)

 

Beach:  Incident on the beach on a Saturday morning, when a car was left in the parking area with broken beer bottles around it.  This vehicle has repeatedly been around during parties on the beach and has been seen being parked on the basketball court. The town watch was notified.  A suggestion was made to put the chain up on Friday & Saturday nights.  Discussion went on about how to deal with problem drinking at the beach.  Glenn Culler will speak with the property owner in regards to his son. (Jim Abel)

 

Email & Website: Paid for the domain name for the website for the next 5 years.  There was a problem with the most recent newsletter, and hopefully it will be resolved by the next time.  (John Reber)

 

Erosion:  (Ken Knapp)

 

Grass Mowing:  3 still have not yet paid.  One is having a lien pursued on his property.  (Dick Ullman)

 

Harbor:  Jim has volunteered to serve as acting harbormaster Bill is recuperating.  (Bill Dryden/Jim Weber)

 

Historical:  No report given.  (Audrey Buck)

 

Legal:  After consulting an attorney, a letter will be written to the Coco family stating our intent to pursue a lien on their property to collect the unrecovered mowing fees.  It will cost about $600 to attach the lien, however, we need to set an example.  (Dave Byler)

 

Maintenance:  No major maintenance issues to report. (John Bates)

 

Membership:  234 paid members in 2001.  We should at least match the total amout of 241 from last year.  7 homes under construction.  103 bathhouse keys have been sold. 14-15 keys have been sold to the shuffleboard court.   (Les Fritz)

 

Newsletter:  July Newsletter went out on time.  Some problems with the text size on the emailed documents should be resolved for the next newsletter. (Andrea Gilde)

 

Roads:  Had a small amount of work done fixing potholes.  Glenn needs to give up the roads chair due to too many other responsibilities.  Glenn will continue to help as much as possible.  2 major issues are:  some asphalt is coming up off the roads, and it is hard to do a small amount of work on a daily basis when the mower is on the tractor. Millings are very labor intensive and there has not been a great volunteer turnout.  We are working on an organized effort to make some progress on the roads.  (Glenn Culler)

 

Social:  We had a couple of harbor socials.  (Sue Seeley)

 

Town Watch:  There have been problems with an unauthorized keg party at the beach and also with the behavior of some individuals attending the large tent party which was held on Arden Rd.  The keg party which apparently brought numerous outsiders into our community featured a large fire on the beach and although there was no damage, resulted in a lot of mess for our beach volunteers to clean up the next day.  The problems with the “tent party guests” included unauthorized blocking of our dock launching area (overnight and into the next day), speeding on our roads, and a lot of rude behavior directed at our residents by the guests at the party.

 

A new schedule which covers the balance of August, all of September, and the first week of October was distributed on August 2nd.

 

We have lost several key volunteers during this period.  Howard &Cheryl Hite have moved, as have John & Judy Mann.  Marty & Gwen Smith have resigned due to pressures of Marty’s business.  We also temporarily lose some volunteers who head south during the winter months.  We should all try to emphasize the need for additional volunteers during the annual general meeting. 

 

Harry and JoeAnn Hite have agreed to take over as coordinators of the Town Watch Program effective September 2001.  (Jim Weber)

 

Tractor:  No news (Marty Smith)

 

4th of July: The annual 4th of July celebration was again a huge success, with great attendance and perfect weather.  The event produced a net profit of $1,107.34.  Thanks to all those who attended and helped with the festivities.  A complete report on the event will be included in the minutes of the Annual Meeting later this month.(Tom Cobley)

 

 

 

OLD BUSINESS

      Snow Plowing of Private Driveways – sample contract will be distributed with the minutes. 

 

      Collapsing Road Pipe:  John Bates will get a price on fixing the road pipe on Cliffview Dr..

 

      Cliff & Beach Progress Report: 

Cliff – written approval was received from Cecil County for the Cliff Buffer Management Plan submitted by CICA.  Temporary seeding and placing of control mats, in two areas, should be accomplished immediately.  Minor earth fill should also be done in one area.

 

Beach Berm: Both the state and county have looked at our non-tidal wetlands encroachment.  They have agreed verbally that the deposited earth should remain (1) to prevent future damage to the beach & jetties from the marsh overflowing and (2) it might cause more damage to the wetlands by removing the earth.

In order to be relieved of this responsibility we must in turn provide an extension to the present wetlands by removing brush and grading down to the level of the existing wetlands.  An area similar in size to the area disturbed would be required.

An area just north of the basketball court, adjacent to the present marsh, seems like it would work.  This is subject to approval of both the State and County.  A drawing has been prepared and will be presented to those concerned as soon as possible. 

 

NEW BUSINESS

      Barbara & Gerry Brueckner attended to voice concerns about the appearance of the maintenance shed behind the pavilion, which backs up to their property.  Although they acknowledge the necessity of the building, and the equipment, the equipment that does not go in the shed, (trailers, snowplows, miscellaneous) as well as the piles dirt, asphalt, crusher run, brush piles, etc. is very unsightly and may lower the property values.

 

      Spreading of the millings will be starting soon, as soon as we can get people to do the spreading.  The millings were only intended to be there for a short time, but for awhile we were unable to work on the roads due to the State stop work order.  Other items are to be moved/salvaged as well.  Dirt and sand will be moved to the beach as soon as the state will allow us to. 

 

      A suggestion was made to have stockade fence built around the equipment.

 

      Standpipe for Fire Company – North East Fire Co. wants to install a standpipe by the harbor which will be used for filling the water tanks in case of an area fire.  There was no objection to this project proceeding ASAP.

 

      Wedding:  Request to hold a wedding for 200 people at the beach/pavilion next July.  It was decided that we simply don’t have the facilities to have that many people.   There is not enough parking, sanitary facilities, etc.  Also, it would be disruptive to those wanting to use the beach/pavilion on that day, as well as to the surrounding neighbors.

 

      Driveway Drainage Pipes:  Request for CICA to put in driveway pipes to help solve a flooding problem.  We can grade the roads and cut the swayle, but cannot put in pipes on a private driveway.

 

      Shed Offered by Berkeihisers – if it becomes available, should the CICA take it?  Tabled until next month.

 

      Beach Closings:  We need to set up an organized effort to be notified and to notify others when the area beaches are closed.  To be reported on next month.

 

      Flood Lights/Motion Detector at the pavilion:  tabled ‘til September meeting.

 

CLOSE OF BUSINESS:  The next meeting will be the annual meeting to be held on August 26th  at 3:00 p.m. at the pavilion.

 

Having no further business to discuss, the meeting was adjourned at 10:18 p.m.

 

Respectfully submitted,

 

 

 

Andrea Gilde, Secretary

 

CC:      Committee Chairpersons

            Elk Neck State Park Rangers