CICA Board of Director's Meeting—Minutes

September 17, 2001

 

The meeting began at 7:30 p.m. at the pavilion

 

BOARD OF DIRECTORS PRESENT: Barbara Barr, Dave Byler, Tom Cobley, Andrea Gilde, Rob Green, Harry Hite, Ward Keever, Ken Knapp, Verne Orndorff, Mike Szep, Sr., Art Wood.

 

ABSENT: Jim Abel

 

Committee Members & Guests Present: John Bates, Fred Berkeihiser, Les Fritz, Bill Dryden, Barry Miller.

 

PRESIDENT’S REPORT:

Welcome to Ward Keever as a new board member, as well as to Jim Abel, who was unable to attend the meeting.

Gaye Turner has agreed to take over as pavilion chairperson

Ned Schoonover has already taken over the sign posting at the community entrance

Don  & Sue Schooley are taking over as the Road Maintenance co-chairs.

 

Correspondence Report

There was no correspondence sent or received

 

SECRETARY’S REPORT:  The minutes from the August 26th meeting were approved as submitted, with the following corrections:  It was reported at the Annual Meeting that any changes to the by-laws would have to be made at the next annual meeting.  Changes do not have to be made at the annual meeting, but can be changed any time by bringing the issue to the entire membership by a mailed ballot.  Anna Green’s name was spelled incorrectly.

 

TREASURER’S REPORT:  The monthly report was approved as submitted.

 

COMMITTEE REPORTS:  (Contributor’s name and/or committee chairperson’s name shown in parentheses following report.)

 

Architectural Review:  An empty lot on Rolling Ave. was cleared and a foundation has been started, but there have been no plans submitted.  A previous inquiry to the owner reported that they were just clearing the lot, not building.  Barry Miller will check out the situation.  Plans for Carl Killian’s addition have been approved.  (Barry Miller)

 

Beach:  New refrigerator at the pavilion, new (reconditioned) CICA flag has been obtained.  Fencing of area behind the maintenance shed will be discussed under Old Business.  (Jim Abel)

 

Email & Website:  Nothing to report. (John Reber)

 

Erosion:  The cliff reseeding and the use of control mats on a temporary basis has partially provided a completion of the Buffer Management Plan approved by the county.  With a little grading, additional fill, seeding, and 90 feet of control mats we can close this matter with the county.  John Bates and Ken Knapp will take care of this prior to Clean-Up day. 

 

In regards to the berm on the Swimming Beach:  On Friday, August 31, Art Wood and Ken Knapp met with Mike McCoy (State Rep.) and Joe Johnson (County Rep.) at the pavilion to examine the proposed mitigation of the wetlands behind the playground equipment.  It was decided by all concerned that any work done in this area would be detrimental to solving the problem.  We then examined the drainage area from the Barr’s driveway down through the mooring parking area to the river.  Sprucing up this area with small trees and shrubs native to the area would fit the need of both the state and county as a trade off for the beach encroachment of the twenty-five foot buffer zone.  A planting drawing for both the berm and the harbor drainage must be submitted for approval.  Planting does not need to begin until the spring, but we may begin in fall.

 

No plans will be submitted to or discussed with state or county representatives until the Board has met, discussed and approved any potential plans at the next meeting (October 8, 2001) (Ken Knapp)

 

Grass Mowing:  Motter and Appleton still owe, as well as Coco.  Good’s have paid.  (Mike Szep)

 

Harbor:  2 boats/moorings came loose.  We are having trouble with people swimming in the harbor area and using the floating dock as a jumping area.  This is dangerous to swimmers and boaters.  (Bill Dryden)

 

Historical:  Nothing to report. (Audrey Buck)

 

Legal:  In over a month, there has been no action from Mr. Coco in regard to the letter threatening legal action.  The attorney is proceeding by entering a judgment against him.  (Dave Byler)

 

Maintenance:  Nothing to report.  Will arrange fence for workday, if approved.  (John Bates)

 

Membership:  1 new member since the annual meeting, now at 239 paid members.  There are some potential new members to be visited as soon as new directories are printed..  (Les Fritz)

 

Newsletter:  Copy is due 10/5/01 (Les Fritz)

 

Pavilion: No report given. . (Gaye Turner)

 

Roads:  Plans are underway to help Don & Sue take over the roads maintenance.  We need an ad-hoc committee to help orient them to what needs to be done and to coordinate the whole process.  Some work went on this weekend, and more is planned for next weekend.  No more millings will be purchased this year. 

 

There are no buried electrical lines at the collapsed culvert near the Bates property.  A hole that formed at the corner of Racine and Rolling has been filled in. 

 

The problem on Caldwell road, where water is washing out several driveways and causing flooding in Beman’s basement will be addressed… All of the property owners except one have agreed to buy their own pipes, and Frank Strimel will dig the trenches.  CICA will put in a swayle to help alleviate the problem.  The crown on Caldwell is in need of repair and crusher run will be put down to restore the crown on the road.  The problem is confounded by the location of telephone lines along the road on Caldwell.  (Don & Sue Schooley)

 

Snow-Plowing Contracts:  Several contracts have been received.  Driveways will need to be measured.  Driveways will need to be staked and the stakes will need to be in the ground at the time of the snow. 

 

Social:  Dates have been submitted for next years.  Halloween party is 10/27, 3 pm with Trick or Treating to follow.  Social committee wants to do another cookbook as a fundraiser, and plans are underway. 

 

A question was raised as to whether we want to have a hayride after the Fall Cleanup?  Consensus is yes.  We need to arrange for the trailer with the State Park and a CICA tractor driver.  (Barbara Barr for Sue Seeley)

 

Town Watch:  New schedule will be distributed soon.  Things are pretty quiet, with no recent incidents to report.  Options for security lights at the pavilion are being investigated.  (Harry Hite)

 

Tractor:  Nothing to report.  We will get a legal opinion as to our standing with S. G. Lewis and the money they claim we owe them.  Dave Byler and Art Wood to gather the necessary information.  (Marty Smith)

 

 

OLD BUSINESS

 

Bill Shaw is still concerned about the storage trailer parked in his neighbor’s yard.  The trailer has not moved as promised, although we have been told again that it will soon be moved out of the yard and returned on a daily basis.  Art will speak with the property owner again.

 

CPR Class is running on Oct. 13 at the pavilion.  Contact Harry Hite if you are interested in joining the class.  Cost is $35 per person. 

 

NEW BUSINESS

 

13 members made loans for the jetties.  The interest rates were lower than we could get at the bank at the time.  Anyone wanting repayment can request so with 180 days notice.  We need to start making repayment on these loans.  Rob Green proposed paying back ¼ of each loan.  A motion was approved unanimously to pay back one quarter of all jetty loans. 

 

Ken is seeking landscaping advice in regards to erosion control planting in the harbor area to comply with the states regulation.  An ad-hoc committee will get in touch with a recommended garden center.  Mike Szep pointed out that all planned plantings should go back to the board, to avoid having tall trees planted in an area that would block views.  Plantings will also have to be done in the beach area. 

 

CLOSE OF BUSINESS:  The next meeting will be held on 10/8 at 7:30 p.m. at the pavilion.

 

Having no further business to discuss, the meeting was adjourned at 10 p.m.

 

Respectfully submitted,

 

 

 

Andrea Gilde, Secretary

 

CC:            Committee Chairpersons

                  Elk Neck State Park Rangers