CICA Board of Director's Meeting—Minutes

November 12, 2001

 

The meeting began at 7:30 p.m. at the pavilion.

 

BOARD OF DIRECTORS PRESENT: Jim Abel, Barbara Barr, Dave Byler, Tom Cobley, Andrea Gilde, Rob Green, Harry Hite, Ward Keever, Ken Knapp, Verne Orndorff, Mike Szep, Sr., Art Wood.

 

ABSENT:

 

Committee Members & Guests Present: John Bates, Bill Dryden, Les Fritz, Dawn Kyle

 

PRESIDENT’S REPORT:

 

Correspondence Report

The following correspondence was received:

·        A letter from Dawn Kyle requesting permission for a home based business.

 

The following correspondence was sent:

·        Barry Miller sent letter to realtor/developer of two homes under construction re:  drainage area and concrete dumping.  There are several problems with grading, signs, etc.  All are being discussed with the builder

·        A release was signed in order to move forward with the lien against Mr. Coco’s property for non-payment of mowing fees

 

SECRETARY’S REPORT:  The minutes from the 10/08/01 meeting were approved as submitted, with the following correction… under the landscaping plans for the Harbor area, the square footage is 2200 sf, not 220 as reported. 

 

TREASURER’S REPORT:  The monthly report was approved as submitted.  We are in need of a new insurance carrier, as our agent, Burkley Insurance, no longer deals with our carrier.  We are able to go to a new agent and pick up the same carrier, or we may go with a new carrier altogether.  We will have more information by next meeting.

 

Subcommittee for Dues Increase Plan:  Met and came up with 2 scenarios for gradual dues increases – one is percentage based and the other is monetary increments of $5 to $10 per year.  The board will consider the two plans and discuss it at a later meeting.  There needs to be more discussion about long-term plans for the Road Improvement and Maintenance, which will be our major expense over the next several years. 

 

COMMITTEE REPORTS:  (Contributor’s name and/or committee chairperson’s name shown in parentheses following report.)

 

Architectural Review:  No report given. (Barry Miller)

 

Beach:  Grass is growing on the berm, picnic tables have been brought in, and things are ready to be closed up for the winter.  Dick Luttrell still believes that the jetties are at the right height, the tides have been unusually high, and the water & sand going over the top are good to help develop sand on both sides of the jetty.  (Jim Abel)

 

Email & Website: Nothing to report. (John Reber)

 

Erosion:  Straw and seed were used on the berm, and grass is growing.  (Ken Knapp)

 

Grass Mowing/Snow Plowing:  Coco and Motter still have to pay… but two others who have been very delinquent in paying their fees have paid.  Motter’s property has been sold, but the bill is still outstanding.  22 contracts for snow plowing have been received, generating income of $950 dollars.  Although past the sign up date, new people moving in will also be offered an opportunity to sign up after the date.  (Mike Szep.)

 

Harbor:  The mooring pull went well thanks to a good turnout of hardworking people.  We have 3 moorings that lost their metal tags and I have asked those people to identify their moorings so that we can deliver them to their houses.  A special thanks to the workers that pulled the moorings prior to pull day.  They pulled approximately 85% of them, which made mooring pull day a lot easier.  The team was led by Jim Weber & Ralph Scotney.  John Bates put them on land with tractor and Neil Barr had the job of trying to identify the owners.  Once again Chet Hallett used his small tractor to move moorings from roadside to the rear of yards.  There are a few left to be moved and I will try to have this completed this weekend.  One floating dock and the ramp next to launch ramp and they will be removed the Saturday after Thanksgiving.   Thanks to Barbara Barr and Karen Dryden for providing refreshments to the crew. (Bill Dryden)

 

Historical:  No report given. (Audrey Buck)

 

Legal:  Claim has been submitted to file the lien against Coco property, for non-payment of mowing fees.  (Dave Byler)

 

Maintenance:  Minor fence damage to the old fence at maintenance shed.  Repairs are under way. (John Bates)

 

Membership:  242 paid members.  10 sets of the newest directories have been printed.  Membership Dues letter and bill are underway and will go out in mid-Jan. (Les Fritz)

 

Newsletter:  Contact person for cookbook/newsletter is Sue Seeley.  The name was not listed in the newsletter, as it should have been (Andrea Gilde)

 

Pavilion: Nothing to report.  (Gaye Turner)

 

Roads:  2 PRIVATE ROAD signs are missing, on Diana Way and Arden Rd.  Crusher run and culvert pipes were put in on Caldwell, to alleviate runoff and flooding problems.  The homeowners on Caldwell who were affected by the problem paid for the pipe and installation.  Next, the swale has to be put in, but the underground phone lines, which are not buried very deep, will impede digging with the tractor.  Some hand digging may have to be done.  (John Bates for Don Schooley)

 

Social:  Committee is meeting Wednesday night, 11/21.  We had a very successful Halloween Party with about 40 children in attendance.   Thanks to Chris Ann Szep for organizing the party.  The Wine & Cheese party is upcoming at Rob & Anna Green’s on 12/2.  Dec 15th is Caroling at the pavilion.  Call the Cobley’s at 287-6358 to arrange for a visit from Santa.  (Sue Seeley)

 

Town Watch:  Proceeding as usual.  Those volunteers requiring a shift specifically on a Friday or Saturday night need to let the coordinators know.   (Harry Hite)

 

Tractor:  Nothing to report. (Marty Smith)

 

 

 

OLD BUSINESS

Plantings at the Harbor – The committee met on  10/31/01 and based on the recommendations of two local landscapers and our own considerations settled  on a planting scheme as shown on the attached and amended drawings.  Joe Johnson’s preliminary opinion was that the state would accept the plan.  The approximate cost for the materials involved would be $1000.  This could be reduced considerably by utilizing local plantings, mulch from the landfill, donated shrubbery, etc.  We will be submitting the amended plan to Mike McCoy from the state.  A plan was submitted for plantings of dogwood, pampas grass, barberry, and bayberry.  There will be 4 40x10 ft. areas.  A motion was made and carried to submit the amended plan to the county and state. 

 

Plans for Proposal of Dues Increase – to be further discussed at a later meeting and prepared during the finance committees plans for the 2002-2003 budget, generally done in February.

 

Future Plans for Roads Improvement – We need to gather existing information about what is the plan for the roads… we have many new residents and there may be changes in the opinion about paving the roads.  A plan for the short term needs to be in place for the millings.  More information is needed for long-range planning.  The issue is tabled until next month. 

 

NEW BUSINESS

Home Based Business -- Dawn Kyle discussed plans for a home-based massage therapy business.  There seem to be no issues that would affect other Chesapeake Isle residents or property associated with the business, and the motion was made and carried to approve the business. 

Dues Bill – There was discussion as to whether there should be a separate line item on the January Membership Dues Bill to encourage people to contribute to “debt reduction” (paying off those who have loaned money to CICA for the jetty project).  There will be no line item included on the bill, but the fact that we still do have debt will be addressed in the accompanying letter.

 

 

CLOSE OF BUSINESS:  The next meeting will be held on Monday, Jan 7th at 7:30 p.m at the pavilion.

 

Having no further business to discuss, the meeting was adjourned at 9:45 p.m.

 

Respectfully submitted,

 

 

 

Andrea Gilde, Secretary

 

CC:            Committee Chairpersons

                  Elk Neck State Park Rangers