CICA Board of Director's Meeting—Minutes

March 11, 2002

 

The meeting began at 7:30 p.m. at the Cobley’s.

 

BOARD OF DIRECTORS PRESENT: Jim Abel, Barbara Barr, Tom Cobley, Andrea Gilde, Rob Green, Harry Hite, Ward Keever, Ken Knapp, Verne Orndorff, Mike Szep, Sr., Art Wood.

 

ABSENT: Dave Byler

 

Committee Members & Guests Present: Barry Miller, Dave Washko

 

PRESIDENT’S REPORT:

 

Correspondence Report

No correspondence was received.

 

 

The following correspondence was sent:

·        Signed consent form for fire department to install standpipe hydrant at the Harbor area.

 

SECRETARY’S REPORT:  The minutes from the meeting were approved as submitted with the following correction:  Under SOCIAL COMMITTEE news, the date of the progressive dinner should be amended to 3/9/02.

 

TREASURER’S REPORT:  The monthly report was approved as submitted.  Memberships have been coming in at a good rate.  We have about the same amount of money in the bank as we did last year at this time.  We should consider another loan payment to the CICA members who loaned money as part of the jetty project, which will be discussed under new business.

 

COMMITTEE REPORTS:  (Contributor’s name and/or committee chairperson’s name shown in parentheses following report.)

 

Architectural Review:  Update on Martyn’s new construction.  Original plans were approved last year, but the house that is being built does not match the plans.  The owner submitted new plans, but they had gotten misplaced.  The new plans did not vary much, except in size and scale, from the original plan.  Although the house is tall, it is just under the height limit set by the county. The charter of the Architectural Review committee states that houses are limited to two levels above grade. The basement is almost entirely above grade, then there is a full story, and a partial story, which is claimed to be a loft. The house also appears taller because it sits atop a hill. The house does not exceed the limits of the county, and is pushing the limits of the Chesapeake Isle architectural review charter.  This may have future repercussions when new homes are being built.  (Barry Miller)

 

Beach:  The purple grass is being removed with the rake on the tractor.  Sand is building up nicely.  There is sea grass growing on the portion of the beach the county would like protected.  Ken Knapp pointed this out to Joe Johnson, who said we could take the silt fence down.  It is coming down on 3/12/02.  If the drought keeps up, we have the county’s approval not to do any plantings, etc., this year, as most things would die from lack of water. The plans for the planting have to be revised, as they were all not approved.  The large rocks from the beach road will be placed along the revetment.  (Jim Abel)

 

Email & Website: The website was down due to lack of storage space, but we purchased more space and it is up and running again. (Note: as of 3/14/02, the website was down again, and will need some revision.)(John Reber)

 

Erosion:  See beach report.  (Ken Knapp)

 

Grass Mowing: Approx. $2025 has been received so far.  (Mike Szep.)

 

Harbor:  54 paid mooring placement requests at this time.  Motor fixed for the mooring puller, and has purchased 2 new winches for the mooring puller.  Mooring inspection on March 23.  The committee would like to enlarge the parking area just above the sunfish parking area.  To be discussed under new business. (Bill Dryden)

 

Historical:  Nothing to report.  (Audrey Buck)

 

Legal:  No report given. We are waiting to receive the check from the Coco settlement. (Dave Byler)

 

Maintenance:  New Holland wants us to have 3 things checked on the tractor, and wants us to take it to an authorized New Holland dealer.  If we don’t have these checked out, it will affect our warranty.  The T-111 siding on the pavilion needs work.  Thanks to Verne Orndorff for organizing the work-day on Jacobs Nose. The day has a good turnout and was very successful.  (John Bates)

 

Membership:  158 paid members at this time.   (Les Fritz)

 

Newsletter:  Any copy for newsletter is due by 4/8/02.  (Andrea Gilde)

 

Pavilion: Rentals are coming in.  A person is needed to clean the bathhouse.  (Gay Turner)

 

Roads:  The committee met and discussed a “test” road with millings.  $2000 will be spent ($300 per load, 25 sf per load, each load will cover an area about 20 feet wide by 25 feet long) on the test road, which will be discussed under old business. The remainder of the millings will be used for repairs.  We need to have a long-range plan for roads maintenance.  There is a large worn pipe problem by Holdren’s and Garvey’s.  It runs under the road and there is a large hole.  The pipe will be replaced.  Because the power lines in that area are underground, Miss Utility has to be involved.   (Don Schooley)

 

Social:  57 people attended the progressive dinner, including 7 new couples.  Thanks goes out to all those who hosted people in their homes.  We had a great turn out.  The Easter Egg Hunt is the next event, on 3/30, at 1 p.m.  April 9th is the annual dinner at the Blue Heron Restaurant, June 8th is the Ladies brunch at the pavilion, and the first of several “Harbor Socials” will be on 6/21. There will also be several “Bingo Nights” scheduled this summer. The next meeting is 4/10 at the home of Karen Dryden.  (Barbara Barr for Sue Seeley)

 

Town Watch: New volunteers are doing well, and new magnetic car signs have been ordered.  Program is going well, and new volunteers are always needed and welcomed.   (Harry Hite)

 

Tractor:  Nothing to report., with exception of what was mentioned in the maintenance report.  (John Bates for Marty Smith)

 

 

 

OLD BUSINESS

 

ROAD MILLINGS:  What Chesapeake Isle road should serve as a test for laying out millings and rolling them?  Diana Way was mentioned, as Diana has not gotten any millings at all.  The residents of Diana Way have voiced no complaints so far about not getting any millings.  All lots on Diana Way have been built on, so there will be no construction vehicles tearing up the road, which also will make it a good test area.  However, Diana does not get nearly as much traffic as “main” Chesapeake Isle roads such as Rolling Ave. Racine, Rollins, Darrel, Arden, Bennett, Cliffview.  There are buildable lots on those roads, so construction damage is an issue there.  We want to be able to cover an area thoroughly and evenly with the portion of the roads budget dedicated to millings.  John Bates may get some millings from the county, which would give us more to work with.  The amount of millings we have to work with  will be a determining factor as to which road gets done.  We can decide to do a portion of a road that has been previously undone, and if we get more millings at a low cost from the county we can revise the plan or expand the area.

 

Verne Orndorff moved to do the section of Rolling between Rollins and Racine, basically in front of the Rollins up to the harbor road.  That area is as yet untouched by millings as we ran out last time. Barbara Barr seconded.  All approved.

 

Loan Payments – we have so far repaid one quarter of the principle of the money loaned to CICA by residents for the jetty project, with interest on outstanding loans at 5-7 %.  The interest we are receiving on our CD’s (currently 2%) is much less than we are paying out, so it makes sense to make another payment, rather than rolling over a CD that is coming due.  It was suggested that we should we pay off a portion of the outstanding loan on the tractor, as that rate of interest is higher.  However, it seems that it is better community relations to pay off the members before the tractor.  The treasurer proposed to pay off another quarter of the loans, which would have half the total loan paid off, with no further payments being considered until after the annual meeting.  Another quarter would be $4375.  Rob Green moved that we pay off $4375 on the loans as of 3/31/02.  Ward Keever seconded.  Mike Szep suggested that we wait till June, which would be a year since the last payment, but Rob Green doesn’t see any benefit to waiting, as we will just accrue more interest due.  All approved, and the payment will be made.

 

Dues Increase – the new budget year will be approaching and a dues increase will be discussed.  There has also been more discussion as to asphalt paving of certain high-maintenance, high-traffic areas as were done at the end of Bennett and Caldwell.  There was a suggestion to raise the dues approximately $15 or $20 per year, and to earmark the income from the increase specifically for roads improvements.  This will be discussed further at a later meeting. 

A question was raised as to what happens if there is an emergency and the money does not get used for roads improvement, as promised?  This will be discussed at a later time.

It was also mentioned that we should get an ad hoc committee together to look at other options for long-term roads maintenance, so we can make educated decisions about all of our available possibilities.  Ward Keever and Mike Szep will start the fact-finding process. 

 

 

 

NEW BUSINESS

Sand – should we truck in sand for the beach?  Ken will investigate the legal process as far as dumping sand on the beach and the need for permits.

 

Sunfish parking area – a drawing was submitted to display the proposed expanded area for the sunfishes.  A permit for this project is needed, and the harbormaster needs to  approve the design after the board decides whether or not to proceed with the expansion.  Some board members would like to look at the site before deciding whether or not to proceed.  The area has been staked out.  All board members should look at the site, and the discussion as to whether to proceed is tabled until the next meeting.  A letter will be submitted to the county regarding our intended plans as well as the revised plans for planting at the harbor.

 Tree Vandalism – There was a report of some trees being “topped” at the harbor.  They were cut and then torn, in such a way as to hurt the trees.  There were right by the footbridge at the harbor.

 

CLOSE OF BUSINESS:  The next meeting will be held on Thursday, April 11th at 7:30 p.m. at the pavilion.

 

Having no further business to discuss, the meeting was adjourned at 9:40 p.m.

 

Respectfully submitted,

 

 

 

Andrea Gilde, Secretary

 

CC:            Committee Chairpersons

                  Elk Neck State Park Rangers