CICA Board of Director's Meeting—Minutes

June 17th, 2002

 

The meeting began at 7:30 p.m. at the pavilion

 

BOARD OF DIRECTORS PRESENT: Barbara Barr, Dave Byler, Tom Cobley, Andrea Gilde, Rob Green, Harry Hite, Ward Keever, Ken Knapp, Verne Orndorff, Mike Szep, Sr., Art Wood.

 

ABSENT: Jim Abel

 

Committee Members & Guests Present: John Bates, Les Fritz

 

PRESIDENT’S REPORT:

 

Correspondence Report

No correspondence was received:

 

The following correspondence was sent:

·        2nd Letter sent to Rich Hinkle regarding the storage trailer which has been parked on his property for over 1 year, the presence of which is in violation of the restrictive covenants.  The original letter requesting its removal as dated July 2, 2001.  The letter, sent out on June 11, 2002, again requesting it be removed from the property.

·        Letters were sent to two property owners on Arden re:  installing drain pipes to cut back on washouts

 

SECRETARY’S REPORT:  The minutes from the May 16th meeting were approved as submitted.

 

TREASURER’S REPORT:  The monthly report was approved as submitted.

 

COMMITTEE REPORTS:  (Contributor’s name and/or committee chairperson’s name shown in parentheses following report.)

 

Architectural Review:  No report given. (Barry Miller)

 

Beach:  No problems to report.  (Jim Abel)

 

Email & Website: Nothing to report. (John Reber)

 

Erosion:  No new erosion issues to report.  See update on beach, berm & harbor issues under Old Business. (Ken Knapp)

 

Grass Mowing:  Only a few delinquent payers are left, and Mike is pursing it.  (Mike Szep.)

 

Harbor:  The standpipe hydrant is installed, and the wood for the additional kayak/canoe rack has been ordered.  We are considering repaying the money spent by the NE fire co to install the hydrant, and it will be discussed under new business.  The location of the standpipe was decided by the fire company.  The work on the Harbor Extended Boat Storage is put off pending completion of the boating season.  (Bill Dryden)

 

Historical:  Nothing to report. (Audrey Buck)

 

Legal:  Nothing to report. (Dave Byler)

 

Maintenance:  Building addition was completed and wired on Cleanup day.  Pavilion was repaired.  Drainage pipes will be installed after the new fiscal year begins in July.  (John Bates)

 

Membership:  225 paid members to date.  Newsletter is moving along.  (Les Fritz)

 

Newsletter:  Newsletter copy is due tonight.  The newsletter will go out on or about the 19th of July (Andrea Gilde)

 

Nominating:  The committee met and we have 7 candidates that have agreed to run.  They are:  Bill Dryden, Mike Szep, Gay Turner, Janet McKenna, Elaine Weber, Barry Miller, and Ken Knapp.  The board members that are vacating are:  Mike Szep, Art Wood, Barbara Barr, and Ken Knapp.  Information about the candidates will be published in the newsletter. (Ward Keever)

 

Pavilion: No report given. (Gay Turner)

 

Roads:  Brian Clare is taking over the roller operations (training drivers, maintenance, and operations.)  We have 5 loads of millings in and six more are expected.  They will be spread and rolled soon.  More information about long-term road options will be discussed at the July meeting.  (John Bates for Don Schooley)

 

Social:  There will be a monthly “Ladies Go Out to Lunch” as a new social activity.  Contact is Gail Berkeihiser. (Sue Seeley)

 

4th of July:  Great committee got together and plans are moving ahead.  A flyer will go out in about 1 week.  The committee plans to donate 20% of proceeds from the silent auction to the NE Fire Company. 

 

Town Watch:  There have been some incidents of vandalism, and residents should note that all incidents of vandalism need to be reported to the police.  There has been some rock throwing, a statue was knocked over, and some outdoor lighting was stolen. (Harry Hite)

 

Tractor:  two drive shafts were repaired, and the warranty repair work was completed on-site.  Horn was installed on the tractor.  New Holland Ford installed an indicator show 4WD status.  Gear housing temperature was repaired.  (Marty Smith)

 

 

 

OLD BUSINESS

 

Beach and Harbor

 

 

 

Community Safety:  Young children are driving golf carts on community roads, placing themselves and others at risk.  The sheriff’s department will be contacted for guidance.  There is also a concern about unsupervised children swimming in the harbor, which is dangerous and against the Chesapeake Isle rules.  Kids can get tangled up in boat lines, or a boat may not see them swimming and run into them. 

 

Standpipe: A motion was made to donate the $375 cost of installing the standpipe at the harbor to the fire department, a portion of which will be paid by the 20% generated by the 4th of July Silent Auction.  All approved.

 

Budget: The budget request that was presented last month was re-presented for final approval by the Board of Directors. The budget included a proposed $10 increase for CICA dues, and plans to pay off the loans for the jetties.  The proposed budget was unbalanced by approximately $7000, which is the amount targeted for the loan payoff.  If the loans are paid off, either completely or partially, most of the money will come out of savings.  (There is no date restriction on when the money needs to be paid back to the lenders, only that the interest needs to be paid annually, and the lender can demand a payoff with six months notice.) 

 

There was discussion about the amount to raise the dues and how to use the money.  A motion was made and seconded to modify the budget plan for dues increase from a $10 increase to a $20 increase.  The vote was six in favor and five opposed.  The motion was carried.  The treasurer will amend the budget, and the budget will be voted on as amended at the Annual Meeting in August.  All concurred that the treasurer should amend the budget to include a $20 dues increase. 

 

NEW BUSINESS

 

An idea was raised for generating income through off-season boat storage at the pavilion.  To be discussed at the next meeting. 

 

CLOSE OF BUSINESS:  The next meeting will be held on Monday, July 22 at 7:30 pm at the pavilion.

 

Having no further business to discuss, the meeting was adjourned at 9:15.

 

Respectfully submitted,

 

 

 

Andrea Gilde, Secretary

 

CC:            Committee Chairpersons

                  Elk Neck State Park Rangers