CICA Board of Director's Meeting—Minutes

July 22, 2002

 

The meeting began at 7:30 p.m. at the pavilion

 

BOARD OF DIRECTORS PRESENT: Jim Abel, Barbara Barr, Tom Cobley, Andrea Gilde, Rob Green, Harry Hite, Ward Keever, Ken Knapp, Mike Szep, Sr., Art Wood.

 

ABSENT: Dave Byler, Verne Orndorff,

 

Committee Members & Guests Present: Barry Miller, Mike Borromeo, John Bates, Gordon & Jorja Osborne, Les Fritz, Ron Fritz

 

PRESIDENT’S REPORT:

 

Correspondence Report

The following correspondence was received:

·        A letter was received by the Osborne’s regarding the planned remodeling of their home.

·        The Hinkle’s have assured us that the trailer on their property will be moved soon.

·        There was no mail or telephone response to the letter sent to homeowners on Arden Rd. requesting that drainpipes be installed to prevent washouts.  However, the drainpipes were installed as requested.

·        Clark/Lord Property:  Prospective buyers of this property are considering tearing down the existing house and rebuilding.  There may be some zoning/septic issues needing to be discussed at a later date.

 

No correspondence was sent.

 

SECRETARY’S REPORT:  The minutes from the June 17, 2002 meeting were approved as submitted.

 

TREASURER’S REPORT:  The monthly report was approved as submitted.  The Roads budget was depleted by purchasing millings, which have been distributed around the community and will be spread on the roads soon. Several income categories have brought in higher than anticipated amounts. 

 

COMMITTEE REPORTS:  (Contributor’s name and/or committee chairperson’s name shown in parentheses following report.)

 

Architectural Review:  New home plan on C-34 has been approved.  There is concern about runoff at the Martyn’s new construction on Cliffview.  Barry will contact the property owner.  (Barry Miller)

 

Beach:  The beach is in good shape.  (Jim Abel)

 

Email & Website:  A new Directory of Services is being prepared, with responses coming from the newsletter.  It will be available on the website within the next few months. (John Reber)

 

Erosion:  After a meeting on June 25th, Joe Johnson determined CICA has met the requirements of our approved plans for the Beach/Berm area. (Ken Knapp)

 

Grass Mowing:  We are down to a few holdouts who have not paid.  2 people have paid “member” rates for mowing without paying membership dues.  They will be encouraged to pay their membership dues, or will be billed for the balance due on their mowing bill. (Mike Szep.)

 

Harbor:  A boat broke loose and washed up on the beach.  It was moved back into the water at high tide. (Bill Dryden)

 

Historical:  No report given.  (Audrey Buck)

 

Legal:  Nothing to report. (Dave Byler)

 

Maintenance:  The roller is overheating.  We will try powerwashing the radiator to remove buildup of residue, which may be the cause of the overheading.  A crew will be working on the millings every Friday.  (John Bates)

 

Membership:  228 members to date… 15 short of last years’ total.  The ballots are ready to be distributed at the annual meeting.  The newsletter went out as planned.  (Les Fritz)

 

Newsletter:  Went out on schedule.(Andrea Gilde)

 

Pavilion:  No report given. (Gay Turner)

 

Roads:  Some roads have been given a good coat of rolled millings, and there are more to be distributed.  More millings are needed for the rest of the community.  Volunteers are needed to spread and roll.

 

4th of July:  There was a good turnout and lots of help.  The cardboard boat race and silent auction were both hits.  The event turned a profit of  $1015.15 for CICA. This is our net profit after donating 20% of the proceeds from the Silent Auction to the North East Fire Company.  As discussed in the last meeting, the CICA will donate an additional amount for a total donation of $375. (Tom Cobley)

 

Social:  Bingo and Harbor socials are ongoing.  (Sue Seeley)

 

Town Watch:  All equipment is working well, volunteers are asked to return the equipment earlier in the week.   There was a bonfire at the harbor beach, which is not allowed.  (Harry Hite)

 

Tractor:  Nothing to report. (John Bates )

 

 

OLD BUSINESS

 

Annual Meeting Committee Reports:  Committee chairs need to make oral reports at the Annual meeting.  Written/email reports should be submitted to the secretary.  Copies of the minutes will be available at the meeting. 

 

Winter Boat Storage:  Ward Keever moved that the beach/pavilion parking lot be used for fee-based winter boat storage for paid members, for a fee of $50 per season.  The dates proposed would be November 1 to April 1.  The major points discussed were:  liability, insurance, performing of maintenance tasks at the beach area, property owners who live along the beach road, and how to deal with people who don’t remove their boats by the appointed day. 

Ken Knapp seconded.  Vote was 2 in favor, and 8 against.  Motion not approved.

 

Well Pumping:  The property owners who have been pumping out their well on their property claim not to be doing it anymore.

 

 

NEW BUSINESS

Gordon & Jorja Osborne have submitted a request regarding the planned remodeling of their home.  They plan to raise the home to accommodate a 3 bay garage and are requesting driveway access off of the harbor road leading to the boat ramp. The piece of community property being discussed would only connect the driveway to the existing road. This encompasses 3-5 feet of community property.

Points discussed:  There are occasions that the community needs to close the harbor road, and this would bar the Osborne’s from their driveway.

There is concern that this will set a precedent for other homeowners with properties bordering community roads.  A suggestion was made to perhaps grant a variance in response to their request.

 

The architectural review committee will decide whether to approve the house revisions independently of the decision of the board regarding the right of way.

 

A motion was made to approve the request as submitted with the following conditions:  This request is being approved for this property only, with no changes made to any rules or restrictive covenants.  The board will reserve the right to close the harbor road as necessary.  Proper accommodations will be made for drainage.  The area which is community property will be covered in stone.  The motion was seconded.  The vote was 8 in favor, 1 against, and one abstention.  Motion was carried.

 

Boat Slips:  Mike Borromeo and Ron Fritz would like to canvas the community and see if there is interest in building boat slips at the harbor and to extend the older community dock.  If there is interest, the matter will be pursued further, in regards to regulations, costs, and permits, and ownership issues.  An article will be placed in the next newsletter to see if there is interest amongst the community.  We also don’t know if the state will approve any building plans if the community decides to go ahead with such a project.  Some people will also be interested, but don’t realize the costs involved in such a project and would not be able to participate. 

 

“Family Social”: A suggestion was made to change the August 30th harbor social so that people with children could attend, perhaps holding it at the beach.  The matter will be brought up to the Social Committee.

 

 

STATE PARK CAMP:  There was a presentation held at Woody’s restaurant to discuss the plans for the camp being built.

·        The camp will be built at Bower’s Conference Center

·        There are already water & sewer facilities

·        300-500 children will be serviced annually.

·        The camp will have an environmental focus, with emphasis on the bay.

·        Opening planned for fall of 2004 or 2005

·        There were some concerns raised about traffic, which should be limited to schoolbuses twice a week

·        Weekends will be used by YMCA and other civic groups

·        Children served will be from the entire state

·        Floating piers will be built for the waterfront

·        County roads department does not believe the road is wide enough to accommodate increased traffic and is requesting a bike lane

·        Camp will be year round.

 

CLOSE OF BUSINESS:  The next meeting will be the Annual Meeting on August 25th, at 3:00 p.m. at the pavilion.

 

Having no further business to discuss, the meeting was adjourned at 9:35.

 

Respectfully submitted,

 

 

 

Andrea Gilde, Secretary

 

CC:             Committee Chairpersons

                  Elk Neck State Park Rangers