CICA Board of Director's Meeting—Minutes

September 26, 2002

 

The meeting began at 7:30 p.m. at the pavilion.

 

BOARD OF DIRECTORS PRESENT: Jim Abel, Elaine Weber, Dave Byler, Bill Dryden, Andrea Gilde, Rob Green, Harry Hite, Ward Keever, Ken Knapp, Verne Orndorff, Mike Szep, Sr.

 

ABSENT:

 

Committee Members & Guests Present:  Sue Seeley, Barry Miller, Les Fritz, John Ferrick

 

PRESIDENT’S REPORT:  There was a short discussion regarding the format of the meeting and how items on the meeting agenda will be prioritized.   Agendas were distributed and plans for the meeting were discussed.  Board members and guests were given an opportunity to add items to the agenda.  We will be maintaining an ongoing list of business items that can be discussed at meetings.  There will be priority old and new businesses items, items to be discussed if there is time (all of which can be added to the priority list) and items that are to be tabled until more information is gathered.

 

The agenda is geared for the long term “health” of Chesapeake Isle.  Projects undertaken will be considered for their long term effect in as far as they affect the volunteerism, appearance, safety, community standing, and community friendliness of Chesapeake Isle.

 

Board members were assigned as a “liaison” to different committees to help with easing communications among committees and the board and to streamline reporting of information and activities.

 

The historical committee is putting together a history of the By-Laws over the years.  The end result of this project will be a “good and true” copy of the by-laws.

 

 

Correspondence Report

We received a thank you letter from the fire department thanking us for our donation of $375, which covers their cost of installing the hydrant standpipe at the harbor.  The remaining cost was paid by the state.

 

SECRETARY’S REPORT:  The minutes from the 7-22-02 meeting were approved as submitted, with the following correction – under the New Business section, item dealing with the proposed camp in the state park, the amount of people served is 300-500 weekly, not annually as was reported in the minutes.

 

      The minutes from the addendum to the Annual Meeting dated on 8-26-02 concerning the election of officers was approved as submitted.

 

TREASURER’S REPORT:  The monthly report was approved as submitted.  An inventory of the safe deposit box was distributed to all board members.

 

COMMITTEE REPORTS:  (Contributor’s name and/or committee chairperson’s name shown in parentheses following report.)

 

Architectural Review:  There have been 2 approvals since Annual Meeting – one addition and one new construction.  There are a few more sets of plans forthcoming.   A suggestion was made to develop a checklist for builders/buyers about requirements for building, setbacks, and necessary items to be submitted.  Hopefully such a list will help the committee get plans that are in better compliance and get all necessary items in a timely manner.  A draft list will be prepared.  (Barry Miller)

 

Beach:  List of jobs for clean up day is ready.  One item in question is whether to paint the aluminum shed donated by the Berkeihisers (possibly, if there is time and volunteers available.)  (Jim Abel)

 

CICA Clothing:  Plans are under way to reissue the Chesapeake Isle burgee (pennant) with more information to be in the newsletter.  Plans are under way to have pictures of CICA clothing on the web site. 

 

Email & Website: Email was sent out reminding all about the clean up day. Web site is still “under construction”. (John Reber)

 

Erosion:  Plants on the beach are doing well.  Ken is planning to submit a minor change for the plans for planting in the harbor.  The plantings are still being postponed until the end of the drought.  (Ken Knapp)

 

Grass Mowing:  ½ dozen lots are still delinquent in paying.  Snow plowing contract will go out in this newsletter, no changes to fees or rules from last year. (Ken Knapp)

 

Harbor:  Since last month, one boat went AWOL on Sept. 18th.  It wound up in the Bohemia River with little damage, and the mooring will need to be dragged for. 

 

On clean up day, Sept. 28th, the harbor is in need of a general cleaning.  Workers are needed with weedwhackers, rakes, shovels, and pruning shears.  A goal will be to clean out the area where the additional canoe/kayak rack will go.  The rack itself will be constructed after all boats have been removed from the harbor.  Mooring pull will occur on November 1st. 

 

Once again, the “No Fishing” sign on the float next to the launch ramp has been removed.  Every time this happens it costs CICA approximately $125 to replace, as well as time to install the sign.  This is a great waste of CICA resources.  .  (Bill Dryden)

 

Historical:  The committee is meeting Sept. 27th with the wife of the man who originally bulldozed the area that is now Chesapeake Isle.  They are putting together an official copy of the by-laws with all the changes that have been made over the years.  The committee needs help culling the files that have accumulated over the years. Anyone with time to spare for this project should contact Audrey Buck.  (Audrey Buck)

 

Legal:  Nothing to report. (Dave Byler)

 

Maintenance:  Plans are in place for clean up day.  (John Bates)

 

Membership:  Current membership stands at 238 members.

The issue was raised about “mandatory” memberships and how to get those who have not paid membership to do so.  If we cannot legally require membership, how can we get those to contribute their fair share in regards to maintenance of the roads, beach, and harbor area.  Approximately 20% of property owners do not contribute anything, yet these people continue to drive on the roads, use the beach, and launch boats at the harbor.  We are losing a lot of income.  There are currently 65 unpaid property owners, and at the current rate of $85 that is $5,525 that is being “lost” annually. The membership chairman believes it is not fair that dues get raised and those who pay end up paying more, and those that don’t pay continue to get a free ride at the expense of others. 

 

The “historical” documents will be gathered as to the last time this matter was pursued, and a contact will be made in to a  local community who has successfully pursued this matter.  At this point this matter will be tabled until next month.

 

We have plans under way to get 20 mail tubes installed.   (Les Fritz)

 

Newsletter:  Copy is due on October 1st, and the newsletter will go out on or about October 15th. (Andrea Gilde)

 

Pavilion: No report given. (Gay Turner)

 

Roads:  Clean up day plans include potholes, branches, etc. (Don Schooley)

 

Social:  The next event is the Covered Dish social following Fall Clean Up.  After that will be the Halloween Party and Community Trick or Treating on Saturday, October 26.  A list of Fall/Winter events as well as the calendar for the next year will be issued in the newsletter.  (Sue Seeley)

 

Town Watch: There have been some reports of vehicle break-ins, thefts, and vandalism in the community, however, no significant incidents were reported to the Town Watch committee. All incidents should be reported first to the Cecil County Sheriff’s Dept., and then to neighborhood watch. (Harry Hite)

 

Tractor:  (John Bates)

 

 

OLD BUSINESS – CPR training is to be done in October at the North East fire house.  Date and details to follow.

 

 

 

NEW BUSINESS –

 

Loan Payment:  A motion was made by the Treasurer to make another loan payment of $4375 plus interest to those who loaned money for the jetty.  The motion was seconded and approved. 

 

Board Vacancy: A number of  potential candidates were considered to fill the remaining 11 months on Tom Cobley’s term. 

They are:          Barry Miller

                        Janet McKenna

                        Gay Turner, and

                        Ginny Cobley

 

There was a brief discussion about each candidate, voting procedures, and past precedents.

 

A motion was made and seconded to vote on Janet McKenna as the person to fill the vacancy.  All approved. 

 

Boat U.S.  John Ferrick told about the Boat US program that will allow us to have a group membership with their program.  If ten Chesapeake Isle residents are members, all members of the group can become members at ½ price. Since many CICA residents are already boat U.S. Members this seems like a great benefit.  John will make the necessary arrangements for the CICA group membership. 

 

Wine & Cheese – a host house is still needed for the event, to be held on Dec. 8th.

 

Trailers – The trailer body on lot M2 which has been addressed by the prior Board has been moved to the front of the lot, but little progress has been made on a final solution.  Concern was also raised that some individuals in the community are sleeping in a camping trailer on their property and plan to do so all winter.

 

CLOSE OF BUSINESS:  The next meeting will be held on Monday, October 28th at 7:30 p.m. at the pavilion.

 

Having no further business to discuss, the meeting was adjourned at 9:15 p.m.

 

Respectfully submitted,

 

 

 

Andrea Gilde, Secretary

 

CC:            Committee Chairpersons

                  Elk Neck State Park Rangers