CICA Board of Director's Meeting—Minutes

December 12, 2002

 

The meeting began at 7:30 at the pavilion.

 

BOARD OF DIRECTORS PRESENT: Jim Abel, Dave Byler, Bill Dryden, Andrea Gilde, Rob Green, Harry Hite, Ward Keever, Ken Knapp, Janet McKenna, Verne Orndorff, Mike Szep, Sr., Elaine Weber

 

ABSENT:

 

Committee Members & Guests Present: Les Fritz, John Bates, Barry Miller, Sal Tullomello

 

PRESIDENT’S REPORT: A letter will be sent to Governor-elect Ehrlich in regards to the North Bay Project at the Bower’s Conference Center.  The letter express concerns about the project that Chesapeake Isle residents have raised and questions that have been asked of, but not answered by, our local government

 

Thanks to those who helped with:  snow plowing, Halloween Party, mooring pull, town watch, CPR course, Wine & Cheese, plowing of driveways, and small boat storage.

 

SECRETARY’S REPORT:  The minutes from the October 28, 2002 meeting were approved as submitted.

 

All committee chairpersons are requested to submit current list of committee members so the master list can be updated.  Submit lists by email (andreagilde@netzero.net), phone (287-6568), or CICA tube (24 Bennett Ave.)

 

TREASURER’S REPORT:  The monthly report was approved as submitted.

 

COMMITTEE REPORTS:  (Contributor’s name and/or committee chairperson’s name shown in parentheses following report.)

 

Architectural Review:  There was one new approval for a house on Bennett Ave.  Due to a misunderstanding, the plans were not submitted until after construction was started; however, there are no problems with the plans needing to be addressed. (Barry Miller)

 

Beach:  The heater in the pavilion has been fixed, with thanks to Mike Barromeo.  (Jim Abel)

 

CICA Logo Gear:  Clothing is moving slowly, but the burgees are selling very well.  (Dotty Fritz)

 

Email & Website: Nothing to report. (John Reber)

 

Erosion:  Nothing to report. (Ken Knapp)

 

Grass Mowing/Snow Removal:  31 driveways are contracted for snow removal, and all were done during the recent snowfall.  There were 3 snowplow drivers out for about 17 hours on this last snow day, and more drivers need to be trained to ease the burden.  The snowplow team did a great job of keeping our roads and contracted driveways cleared.  The deadline is passed, so no new contracts for snow plowing of driveways will be accepted this year.  (Ken Knapp)

 

Harbor:  The mooring puller and remaining dock have been retired for the winter.  We have one mooring that is unaccounted for and dragging for it will have to wait until spring.  The enlarged sunfish parking areas has been excavated and stone applied.  We may need some more stone as it appears a little thin.  There was a great turn out for Mooring Pull Day.  Thanks to all who lent a hand, and especially to Chet Hallett for the use of his tractor, which was used to help deliver the moorings.  (Bill Dryden)

 

Historical:  Nothing to report. (Audrey Buck)

 

Legal:  Nothing to report. (Dave Byler)

 

Maintenance:  The roller has been winterized and put away.  A new blade was put on the tractor scraper.  Maintenance has been very busy helping with the harbor and the roads.  (John Bates)

 

Membership:  240 members is our final count for this year,, which is 4 less than in the past 2 years. There is no obvious explanation for the reduction in dues-paying members.  The annual membership package with the dues and boat fees invoice, as well as the boat registration form will be sent out between Jan. 8th and 10th.  They will be mailed to everyone; none will be distributed in the mailing tubes.  A change in the invoice forms includes a request for a contact person in case there is a property or medical emergency while the CICA resident is traveling or otherwise unreachable.  (Les Fritz)

 

Newsletter:  Newsletter will go out Jan 21st, with a portion of the membership report that will address the current undertaking of pursuing mandatory membership.  The newsletter will be mailed between the 25th -27th.  Copy is due on or about the 7th.  Jack Ferrick has installed 20 mailing tubes in the community since the last meeting.  About 24 still have to be installed.  (Les Fritz)

 

Pavilion: Nothing to report.  (Gay Turner)

 

Roads:  7 loads of millings brought in, 3 just before the snowstorm.  Most roads except the lower part of Rolling have been covered.  The millings have held up pretty well in the bad weather.  We are still awaiting a price from Dennis Reynolds on the culvert replacements.(Don Schooley)

 

Social:  Carl Killian is our new Santa, please contact him by Dec. 20th to arrange a Christmas eve vist.  The Wine & Cheese was held, with a great turnout.  Caroling is the next event, and a committee is needed to judge the decorating contest.  (Sue Seeley)

 

Town Watch:  The vandals have had a busy fall.  Harry and Joeann had a meeting with Sgt. Krandall from the sheriff’s dept.  They talked about what offenses are able to be prosecuted and which are not.  The sheriff’s dept. will talk to the families if we have names of those juveniles involved.   They promised to write a general letter to the community discussing patrols, safety, and vandalism, but this letter has not yet been submitted.  Since the new sheriff is coming in, there are a lot of staffing and procedural changes, and new contacts have to be established.

 

Recently there was an incident with some juveniles in the community, including at least one very young child.  This incident happened late at night.  There is a county curfew of 10 p.m, so we can call the sheriff’s department to enforce it. 

 

Schedules will be coming out this week for the next 3 months.   Rick Smith is the new Chief Ranger of Elk Neck State Park and we are working with him to have the rangers more involved in our community. (Harry Hite)

 

Tractor:  there will be flyers distributed to those who park on the side of the road during snow events.  This is a dangerous practice, as the tractor is not always accurate and there is a risk of damage to a boat or vehicle, or injury to the tractor driver. (John Bates)

 

 

 

OLD BUSINESS

 

MANDATORY MEMBERHSIP:  Representatives from the board met with a representative from Hollywood Beach.  Their community is very similar to ours in terms of layouts, roads, membership, ownerships, deeded property rights, etc.  It is smaller than ours, with about 100 lots.  They shared information about their community, and how they reworked their bylaws to make membership mandatory.  They have been to court 3 or 4 times to uphold it, and they have won each time.

The next steps involve developing a list of what needs to be done in order to pursue this change. 

 

There was discussion as to whether an attorney should be consulted before we redesign the bylaws.  However, we have a good “template” of how the bylaws should be constructed from the copy that was provided to us by Hollywood Beach.

 

The committee has plans to develop a framework for what needs to be done legally, financially, and preparation for presentation to the community, etc. and present it at the meeting next month. 

 

Community Sign:  A drawing of the current sign was displayed, as well as drawings of some other community signs in the area.    A drawing of the proposed sign and a scale drawing of the CICA logo was displayed. 

 

Major issues involved with a new sign are:

·        Cost – We have some materials that can be used to make a sign similar to the one that is there already.  The submitted design is larger and includes the CICA logo.  If we go to a new design, all new materials will need to be purchased.

·        Maintenance – All signs will need to be maintained.  Some materials last longer than others, but they will cost more to make

·        Size – if the sign is in the current location but is made much larger, the property owner in lot I-01 may have some visibility blocked while coming out of the driveway onto Turkey Point Rd.

·        Location – we had to negotiate with the state park to allow us to put the sign where it is.  If we need to move it, we need to get permission as it is on a state road. 

 

A variety of designs were discussed and a revised sign will be presented at the next meeting. 

 

Architectural Review Checklist for Buyers and Builders – Barry Miller submitted a procedural list of items to be given to all potential homebuilders in Chesapeake Isle.  This list was distributed to all board members to be reviewed and will be discussed at the January meeting. 

 

Power Trimmer – it was suggested that the purchase of this item be deferred to the next fiscal year and be made a part of the budget process, to be purchased as part of the roads or maintenance committee’s expenditures.  If we need this item for a major clean up job, such as trimming the weeds on Jacob’s Nose, we will rent it.

 

CPR Training –  to be discussed at the January meeting.

 

Richard’s Paving – Verne spoke with David at this company, and they informed us that they have not put millings down as a road covering, but as a preparatory surface before asphalt.  Originally, we were led to believe that they had put millings down on roads as a permanent road cover.  They would be willing to do this for us, but there are no roads we could go look at to evaluate the work.  If we choose to hire them to do the millings service, they would bring in millings for a test road, spread it and roll it at about $500 per load.  John will also talk to Dennis Reynolds about spreading millings and his price.  At the January meeting these plans and prices are to be discussed.

 

NEW BUSINESS

 

There is a Zoning Meeting for a proposed conference center and camp at Wapiti site (off of Turkey Point Rd.) on December 16th, 2002.  The Episcopal church is planning the purchase and development of this site.

 

CLOSE OF BUSINESS:  The next meeting will be held on Monday, January 20th  at 7:30 p.m. at the Szep’s.

 

Having no further business to discuss, the meeting was adjourned at 9:40 p.m.

 

Respectfully submitted,

 

 

 

Andrea Gilde, Secretary

 

CC:            Committee Chairpersons

                  Elk Neck State Park Rangers