CICA Board of Director's Meeting—Minutes

January 20, 2003

 

The meeting began at 7:30 p.m. at the Szep’s.

 

BOARD OF DIRECTORS PRESENT: Dave Byler, Bill Dryden, Andrea Gilde, Rob Green, Ward Keever, Janet McKenna, Verne Orndorff, Mike Szep, Sr.,

 

ABSENT: Jim Abel, Harry Hite, Ken Knapp, and Elaine Weber

 

Committee Members & Guests Present: Audrey Buck, Les Fritz

 

PRESIDENT’S REPORT:

·        Met with Donald Smith on Mason Lane Mason Lane.  He is looking to have some grading done on the road, as CICA has done in the past.  Copies of May, 1995 correspondence given to each director

·        Thanks to Santa and his helpers and to those who helped with Christmas caroling, those who decorated for Christmas, and those who judged the contest, and for our snow plow team.

 

Correspondence Report

The following correspondence was received:

·        A letter from was received from regarding unleashed dogs in the community

·        Phone call was received regarding youths in the community who have been riding dirt bikes on our roads. 

 

SECRETARY’S REPORT:  The minutes from the December 12, 2002 meeting were approved as submitted.

 

TREASURER’S REPORT:  The monthly report for the period ending December 31, 2002 was approved as submitted.  One item that has gone up this year is insurance, as is the case for all kinds of insurance policies.  Upon inspection of our policy, it was determined that the tractor was over-insured.  Formerly, it was insured for the full purchase price; now it is insured for the current value.  This lowered our insurance bill back to approximately where it was before the increase.  The 4-wheel drive broke on the tractor, and we had it repaired promptly; making use of a dealer sponsored delayed-payment program allowed us to defer payment until May. 

 

COMMITTEE REPORTS:  (Contributor’s name and/or committee chairperson’s name shown in parentheses following report.)

 

Architectural Review:  There was a foundation poured on L-1, and the plans have been submitted from Orion Builders.  Joe Turner is building a new home on Turkey Point Rd.  The house on the Bollen property (F-13, purchased from the Lords) is planned for demolition.  We have not yet seen plans for the rebuilding process.  (Barry Miller)

 

Beach:  No report given. (Jim Abel)

 

CICA Clothing:  The first order of burgees sold out, we are expecting a new shipment of 27 (we got two free with 25).  We are getting low on sweatshirts as they are being given as prizes for the Xmas decorating contest.  (Dotty Fritz)

 

Email & Website: No problems to report.  New additions to the web page include the neighborhood watch schedule, invoice, boating form, and upcoming events.  (John Reber)

 

Erosion:  No report given. (Ken Knapp)

 

Grass Mowing/Snow Plowing:  Tractor 4-wheel drive was fixed; without the 4-wheel drive we were unable to plow.  We are set for another snow event.  (Ken Knapp)

 

Harbor:  The standpipe needs to be repaired (the strainer has broken off due to the ice), so we need to notify the fire department.  Reservations so far for 7 moorings, and more are coming in along with membership payments.  (Bill Dryden)

 

Historical:   The committee meets the 3rd Friday of each month.  They have been trying to arrange for a speaker, Hazel Howery, whose husband was the worker who originally plowed and cleared the land that is now Chesapeake Isle; there have been problems arranging for the speaker due to health issues.  The Historical Committee is responsible for keeping and filing all documents related to Chesapeake Isle Civic Association business.  The committee has been working its way through older files, trying to organize the large amounts of information that are passed on.  They have gone back as far as 1966, to the original by-laws created by the civic association.  They are planning to meet with the legal committee to help organize the information, particularly in regards to the by-laws and amendments to such over the years. Such information will be necessary in moving forward with the Mandatory Membership project currently in process.  (Audrey Buck)

 

Legal:  Nothing to report. (Dave Byler)

 

Maintenance:  Nothing to report.  (John Bates)

 

Membership:  51 members have paid so far, with no remarks about the dues increase.  There have been several remarks in support of the new database of emergency contacts.  (Les Fritz)

 

Newsletter:  Committee is meeting this Thursday for addressing and distributing. The mailing tube process is well under way, thanks to Jack Ferrick. A couple of homes need to have posts installed, as there is no way to attach a tube to the mailbox or newspaper box.   We should have all homes outfitted with mailing tubes soon.  (Les Fritz)

 

Pavilion: No report given.  (Gay Turner)

 

Roads: No report given.  (Don Schooley)

 

Social:  Next event is the Progressive Dinner, then the Easter Egg Hunt and the Spring Dinner.  (Sue Seeley)

 

Town Watch:  The new schedule has been posted on the website, as a way to make the information more accessible to volunteers.  There have been no major incidents to report.  The committee has been working on having a meeting with a representative from the sheriff’s department, but with the reorganization of the new sheriff’s office it has been difficult to get a response in regards to making arrangements.  We have not seen increased sheriff’s patrols in this community since the changeover.    (Harry Hite)

 

Tractor:  The repair shop found that a bolt had been sheared off, causing the 4-wheel drive to stop working.  This was not due to any misuse of the tractor or error of the operator.  The 4-wheel drive was repaired.  The bill was approximately $2400, and payment was deferred until May, with no interest charges to us.  (Rob Green for John Bates)

 

OLD BUSINESS 

 

Roads agreement with Mason LaneThere are three separate sections to Mason Lane: 1) the south end to the south gate is a platted road which is owned by CICA, 2) the north end to the north gate is an easement across Chesapeake Isle lots I-11 thru 14, not a platted road belonging to the CICA, and 3) between the gates at the north and south end is an easement across property which is not Chesapeake Isle .   Four of the five owners of property in the non-Chesapeake Isle portion of Mason Lane are social members of the CICA.   CICA plows snow off the entire length of Mason Lane.  CICA requires that it is safe for the tractor to get through and plow.  May, 1995 correspondence with the owners of I-10 through 14 permits the CICA to “scrape, plow, and place gravel” on that section of Mason Lane.The roads committee determined that grading is necessary for plowing and other access, and it will be done.

 

Wapiti Farm Development – Dave Byler, John Bates , and Mike Szep attended the Planning and Zoning meetings at the Elkton Courthouse regarding the planned development for the 600 acre Wapiti Farm.  The application for an exception to the County code was made by The Conservation Fund, Arlington, Va., and the Episcopal Diocese of Philadelphia.  They were seeking a special exception to establish a conference center and camp.  The church camp will be about 100 acres; the balance will go into a conservation trust.  The camp anticipates a maximum of 350 to 400 people.  Dave pointed out that their portrayal of the road conditions was not realistic, as the portion of road they displayed was down toward North East, north of Old Elk Neck Rd., where there is a shoulder. Wapiti is south of Old Elk Neck, and the road leading to the turnoff is single lane, and narrow. 

 

North Bay Project at Bower’s Conference Center – Rick Smith at the park office said it is a “done deal” with work beginning this October.  We have not received any kind of official information on this project. A letter will be sent to the commissioners and state senators asking for assurances on the planned and future development of this site.  Although the site is currently planned for a Youth Camp, we want assurance in writing that if the camp does not continue it will not be used for another program that could be detrimental to Chesapeake Isle.

 

Mandatory Membership – The committee’s first meeting produced a timeline of things that need to happen so that we can be prepared to bring amended by-laws to a vote in June, and then present the results at the annual meeting. There will be another meeting in March to discuss a first draft of bylaws changes and further planning.  Two major items need to be addressed as part of this process; one is the current requirements of membership in the CICA, and the other is that there is no requirement in the bylaws for the board to present an annual budget for approval.  While we have done so, the necessity of doing so is not stated in the by-laws.  This will have to be changed as part of the re-writing process.

 

The board is trying to address as many issues as possible, and to have considered all arguments pro and con converting to mandatory membership. The committee plans to have a forum for CICA members to ask questions, and to get information and answers.  This may be accomplished through a special meeting open to all CICA members, and mailing, posting, newsletter, or on the website.  Some questions that have already arisen are:

1.      Why is the CICA board pursuing mandatory membership at this time?  What does the board hope to accomplish by pursuing mandatory association membership.

2.      Will only current CICA members cast a vote, or will the ballots be sent out to all property owners?

3.       If new by-laws are written and filed at the courthouse, will it stand up in court if a property owner refuses to pay their dues?

4.      Not all current members will be in support of mandatory membership.  We don’t want this issue to be divisive.

5.      What other issues have to be decided before the by-laws can be rewritten.

 

Dave Byler moved that we contact the attorney that represented Hollywood Beach in their quest to make membership mandatory and request advice and guidance on how to proceed.  Rob Green seconded.  All were in favor.  Janet McKenna will make the initial contact. 

 

Mandatory Membership committee will meet on January 29th, 2003. 

 

Community Entrance Sign – packet of drawings was submitted, showing two types of designs; one was similar to the sign we currently have, but includes the CICA logo and raised letters.  Other drawings were more similar to the Hollywood Beach sign, with posts, a colored panel, the CICA logo, and raised letters.  During the last meeting, a question was raised as to whether we could move the location of the sign, so we can make it higher, but not obscure the view for any drivers coming out of Lot I-1.  Rick Smith, the park manager, has given permission for us to put the sign anywhere we want, so we don’t need to worry about visibility.

 

OPTION 1 – A sign similar to the one we have now, with 6-inch wood block raised letters, would cost around $100, assuming we could use wood that we already have.  The major cost would be for the letters, and some posts would also have to be purchased.

 

OPTION 2  with hard plastic letters, 2 posts, a 4x8 mdo panel, other lumber, molding, finials, etc. would cost around $450.  Most of the work would be performed by Sal Tullomello.

 

There was discussion regarding the specifications of the submitted designs. 

 

A motion was made by Ward Keever, and seconded by Bill Dryden, to proceed with OPTION 2 with some minor changes to the submitted design, to spend up to $500 to prepare this sign, and to install it at a location that is not objectionable to the park personnel.  7 votes in favor, 1 opposed, and the motion was carried. 

 

Boat Slips – There appears to be no response to the request in the last newsletter that interested parties contact the request originators; no one from the board has heard any feedback from the community or from the originators of the idea.  At this point this is not an active matter for the Board of Directors.

 

Architectural Review Charter will be reviewed with the intent of finalizing a previously submitted checklist of things that builders and new property owners need to know in regards to building requirements and limitations.  We will also discuss possibly increasing new homes square footage requirements.  As there was no member of the Architectural Review Committee present, the matter was tabled until the next meeting.

 

NEW BUSINESS

 

Man & Woman of the Year – All board members should consider nominees for the “Persons of the Year, which will be voted on a the February meeting.

 

Dirt Bikes and Unlicensed vehicles – Dirt bikes have been a recurring problem on community roads.  The bylaws state “Dirt bikes shall only be ridden on the bike owner’s property or with specific permission on other property owner’s land.  Dirt bike riding on community property is not permitted.  All motor vehicles must be suitably mufflered so as not to cause disturbance of the peace.”

.  When a problem involving dirt bikes arises, the parents of the youths involved will be notified.  We will consult with our attorney about any potential liability.  Our by-laws state “All motorized vehicles in use on roads within Chesapeake Isle shall be operated only by properly licensed persons.”

 

CLOSE OF BUSINESS:  The next meeting will be held on Feb. 27th at 7:30 p.m. at the Dryden’s.

 

Having no further business to discuss, the meeting was adjourned at 9:55 p.m.

 

Respectfully submitted,

 

 

 

Andrea Gilde, Secretary

 

CC:            Committee Chairpersons

                  Elk Neck State Park Rangers