CICA Board of Director's Meeting—Minutes

February 27, 2003

 

The meeting began at 7:30 p.m. at the Dryden’s         

 

BOARD OF DIRECTORS PRESENT: Jim Abel, Dave Byler, Bill Dryden, Andrea Gilde, Rob Green, Harry Hite, Ward Keever, Janet McKenna, Verne Orndorff, Mike Szep, Sr.

 

ABSENT: Ken Knapp, Elaine Weber,

 

Committee Members & Guests Present: John Bates, Barry Miller, Les Fritz

 

PRESIDENT’S REPORT:  The president offered thanks to the following:  all those who helped with snow removal and maintenance during the recent blizzard; those who produce, assemble, and distribute the newsletter; the secretary and website committee; and to anyone who helped out a neighbor in any way during the snowstorm.

 

Correspondence Report

The following correspondence was received:

·        Email correspondence from Rick Smith noting a contact person for the North Bay Project under development at what used to be Bowers Conference Center.  Our contact is Pete Albert, and the phone number is 410-242-2880.

·        Several notes of thanks were received from community members in regards to passable road conditions throughout the days of the blizzard. These notes were forwarded to all board members.

 

The following correspondence was sent:

·        A note was sent out via email, and posted on the website, from Mike Szep.  The note thanked all community members for their patience during the snow storm, praised those who worked on clearing the snow, and updated those who were waiting to have their driveways cleared.

·        A form letter was written stating the presence of the standpipe and hydrant at the harbor.  This letter was written at the request of a CICA member seeking to lower his home insurance premium due to the presence of the standpipe.  This letter will be posed on the website for other members to use, if necessary.

 

SECRETARY’S REPORT:  The minutes from the January 20th meeting were approved as submitted.

 

TREASURER’S REPORT:  The monthly report was approved as submitted.  Points of interest include:  newsletter mailing expenses; costs for tractor equipment and maintenance; and some expenditure for the new community sign.  Two members have given monetary donations in appreciation of our quick and efficient snow plowing team.  Thus far, we have collected about 36% of our expected income for the year. 

 

COMMITTEE REPORTS:  (Contributor’s name and/or committee chairperson’s name shown in parentheses following report.)

 

Architectural Review: There are plans circulating for 2 additions, 1 deck, and one new home construction on lot L-1. There are some drainage problems on the construction site, and the builder needs to be contacted and instructed to clear them up before proceeding. Mike Szep will contact the builder   (Barry Miller)

 

Beach: The beach is iced over, with no maintenance issues to report.  (Jim Abel)

 

CICA Clothing:  The new order of burgees has arrived, along with other clothing items. (Dotty Fritz)

 

Email & Website: Nothing to report. (John Reber)

 

Erosion:  Nothing to report. (Ken Knapp)

 

Grass Mowing/Snow Plowing:  In February, the snow plow team put in over 70 hours of clearing snow, and used over 60 gallons of diesel fuel.  A full report on the costs of this very snowy month will be noted in the next treasurer’s report.  During the blizzard, the roads were passable at all times, thanks to the heroic efforts of our drivers.  John Bates, Jim Abel , Mike Szep, Sr. , Art Wood, and Glenn Culler are our snow plow tractor drivers, with Tom Pollard performing much of the maintenance.  Sonny Hayes is currently training, as is Chet Hallett.  We received many calls for people wanting to have their driveways plowed; they could not be accommodated, as we had to clear the driveways for those who had taken the contract back in October. Everyone was very patient and understanding.  Some of the driveways were very difficult to clear, given the huge amount of snow and some steep graded.  In some circumstances, bucket loads of snow had to be scooped up and removed in order to plow.  This greatly increased the time it took to clear a driveway.  (John Bates and Mike Szep, Sr. for Ken Knapp)

 

Harbor:  So far we have received 50+ mooring reservations for the upcoming boating season.  Mooring inspection is March 22, and mooring Drop is April 5.  The harbor standpipe was damaged by ice, and the fire company was contacted in regards to fixing the broken standpipe.  The standpipe will probably have to be replaced in such a way or placed so it will not get broken during the winter months.  The fire company was spotted in the community after the snowstorm checking to see if homes would be accessible for their equipment.  (Bill Dryden)

 

Historical: No report given.  (Audrey Buck)

 

Legal:  Nothing to report. (Dave Byler)

 

Maintenance:  (John Bates)

 

Membership:  Currently, there are 154 paid members.  The official due date for membership is this Saturday.  An up-to-date list will be posted soon.   77 bathhouse keys, and 44 shuffleboard keys have been ordered so far.  Our membership goal is 240-250 paid members.  We are running about 10 members ahead of this point last year.  No mention has been made of the dues increase, and there has been an overwhelmingly positive response to the “Emergency Call List” that Les is developing.   (Les Fritz)

 

Newsletter:  April 7th is the copy due date for the next newsletter.  It will go out around the 20th of that month.  (Andrea Gilde)

 

Pavilion:  No report given. (Gay Turner)

 

Roads:  Some roads will need to be repaired/patched after plowing.  We need to get some millings in after the snow melts to patch/repair.  There are many potholes and washouts on the roads.  Some low tree branches were hit by the tractor and are now hanging over the road.  Homeowners could help out by trimming them. (John Bates for Don Schooley)

 

Social:  Progressive Dinner is the next upcoming event. 54 people have signed up, with 4 on the waiting list, 7 houses are scheduled to serve entrees, with the appetizer at the Fritz’s, and dessert at the Bates’.  The Annual Dinner is April 12th at the Blue Heron.   John Bates is working on plowing enough parking around the houses that are hosting for the progressive dinner.  (Sue Seeley)

 

Town Watch:  There was no official patrol during the snowstorm.  Harry spoke with Sgt. Jeff McKenzie at the sheriff’s office.  Our contact person is Lt. Ray Evans.  They plan to beef up their patrols.  We should contact them with any incidents of vandalism.  There is a county curfew, but it is difficult to enforce.  There was a theft in the community.  A package was delivered and left on a porch, and the items were stolen off the porch.  We are considering purchasing new radios with a longer (5 mile) range.

 

Harry & Joeann are giving up the neighborhood watch chair as of this September, so a replacement coordinator is needed.

 

 CPR/AED – there is a community Heart Saver program for small businesses and communities.  If we are selected, we can get a discount for purchasing a device, and the most it would cost is $2400. It would probably be considerably less. Harry’s contact is looking into getting us involved in this program.  We don’t have a committed date yet for a date for a CPR class to be held at the Fire House.  (Harry Hite)

 

Tractor:  John Bates and Jim Abel spoke with the shop manager at the repair shop to find out what happened to shear the bolt causing the costly repair, as was reported last month.  The manager, Terry, assured us there was no fault on the part of the driver/operator.  There may have been some problem as part of the manufacturing process as other tractors have had this problem as well.  John Bates spoke with a representative of New Holland, the company (although not the original dealer) who sold us the tractor.  New Holland has agreed to pay ¾ of the bill (the total bill was about $2400).  We are expecting a new bill for about $600.

 

Cars and trailers parked on the side of the road during snowstorms are very dangerous.  A driver can lose sight of the road during white out conditions and cause injury to himself, or damage to cars or other property out on the roads.

 

When there is ice on driveways or roads, the tractor cannot get traction, particularly on the steep driveways.  It helped to put salt/sand on driveways to begin to melt the snow and get traction in the grooves before the tractor comes to plow your driveway.

 

Property owners need to trim low branches in front of their homes to allow the tractor to pass. 

 

An ad-hoc committee will be formed to discuss what was learned during the recent blizzard, with the goals being increased safety and performance. This committee will be formed and recommendations will be made during the summer months, in preparation for next winter. (John Bates)

 

 

OLD BUSINESS

 

North Bay – a contact person has been identified:  Pete Albert, 410-242-2880.  Commissioner Mark Guns will try arranging a meeting with the board and Mr. Albert so we can learn about their plans for development.  Mike will make the arrangements and contact board members. 

 

Mandatory Membership Update – Draft copies of the revised bylaws with the old copy “blacklined” out were distributed to each member and guest present.  A copy was also distributed including only the proposed new by-laws.  All board members and chairs should read over and review and submit any suggestions/changes to Bill Dryden or Janet McKenna by March 11th.  All references to any “eligibility” for membership were removed.  Unpaid members will not be allowed to vote.  All property owners will be considered members and be obligated to pay. Landlords will be required to pay dues as the property owner and will be responsible for their tenants who would use our facilities as their guests."

 

Contact Bill or Janet with any questions or suggestions for the by-laws. 

 

Arch Review Checklist – A draft copy of the checklist was distributed to each board member.  As previously discussed, the purpose of this checklist is provide builders and homeowners with a list to clarify what is required to be submitted to the Architectural Review Committee. 

 

After a brief discussion, the following item will be added to the list:  that a notice of acceptance or rejection of the plans, along with necessary changes in case of rejection, will be sent to the homeowner, as per the Architectural Review Charter, in a timely manner.  (within 3 weeks)  This checklist will be included in the new homeowner/property owner packet given by the membership chair to each new member/property owner.  The letter was approved with 2 changes, as above and changing “duplicate” to identical.  It will be sent to area builders and realtors, put in the packets, and posted on the website. 

 

Entrance Sign – cost ran higher than expected due to increase in the price of the letters.  We also needed to purchase a pattern for the installation of the letters for $30-40 dollars.  $311.54 for letters and pattern, $152.02 spent at Shoney’s lumber, $41.45 to am home & hardware ($505.91spent in total) .  The sign is almost completed and it will be installed when weather permits. 

 

 

NEW BUSINESS

 

Community Appearance/Extra Work Day – There are a few areas in the community that will need to have some work done on them before spring work-day on May 7th.  Jacob’s Nose, and the harbor are in need of some work, as well as tree trimming and road repair.  April 5th is mooring drop day, and if more people than are needed for this task show up, they can be put to work on other jobs.  The maintenance, roads, and harbor committees will each prepare a list of jobs to be done, and schedule a work-day on which to do it.  Coordination and scheduled days will be discussed at the next meeting. 

 

Snow Plow Fund – it was suggested by a CICA member that we can start a fundraising effort as a way of thanking the snowplow team and earmarking the money for tractor maintenance, and to pay off the tractor early if possible.  A note will be posted on the website and to be sent out by email.  Notes will be posted on the bulletin boards, and a mention in the minutes.  A motion was made and seconded, that we are accepting donations given in appreciation for the extra effort made by the snow plow team during the blizzard  After a vote, all approved.  Two community members have independently made donations toward this effort.  

 

Person of the Year Nominations and Voting – copies of past winners, and criteria for nominating persons of the year were distributed to all.  Mike also passed out a form to help evaluate criteria for those being considered for this honor.  This form may be used next year.  After discussion and a vote, a man and woman of the year were selected.  The results will not be revealed until after the annual dinner in April.

 

CLOSE OF BUSINESS:  The next meeting will be held on March 27th, 2003 at 7:30 p.m at the pavilion.

 

Having no further business to discuss, the meeting was adjourned at 10:00 p.m.

 

Respectfully submitted,

 

 

 

Andrea Gilde, Secretary

 

CC:             Committee Chairpersons

                  Elk Neck State Park Rangers