CICA Board of Director's Meeting—Minutes

March 27, 2003

 

The meeting began at 7:30 p.m. at the pavilion

 

BOARD OF DIRECTORS PRESENT: Jim Abel, Bill Dryden, Andrea Gilde, Rob Green, Harry Hite, Ward Keever, Ken Knapp, Janet McKenna, Verne Orndorff, Mike Szep, Sr., Elaine Weber

 

ABSENT:  Dave Byler

 

Committee Members & Guests Present: John Bates, Jack & Audrey Buck, Rich Gilbert, Pete Albert & Bob Bingham (from the North Bay/Erickson Foundation), & Bob McKnight (Mayor of North East).

 

PRESIDENT’S REPORT:  Thanks were offered to all those who worked on the community entrance sign; to our road crew, who have been working to fill washouts and potholes; to the web committee; to all those who hosted and otherwise helped to put together the progressive dinner, and to Ned Schoonover, who keeps our community information sign up-to-date.

 

Correspondence Report – there was no correspondence to report.

 

SECRETARY’S REPORT:  The minutes from the February 27, 2003 meeting were approved as submitted, with the following corrections:  (1) John Bates will be added to the membership of the ad-hoc committee which will be discussing issues and concerns about snow plowing during big storms, and to evaluate the status and necessary changes of our driveway snow plow program. (2) Under the Neighborhood Watch report, the suggestion for additional radios was not meant for use by the neighborhood watch crew, but to perhaps purchase a dedicated set for the snow plow team.

 

TREASURER’S REPORT:  The monthly report was approved as submitted.  So far, we have spent about 53% of our budget for the year, and we have received 63% of our projected income.  Clothing & Burgees committee is over budget for spending, but has also received more than was expected.  This is due to the successful sales of the Burgees, a new item this year. Our miscellaneous expenses can mostly be attributed to the new entrance sign.  We have received $325 in pavilion rental fees.  We have also received $250 in donations, either targeted to the snowplow expenses, or to be added to the General Fund in February.  The previously reported Tractor repair bill of $2300 was reduced to $611. 

 

COMMITTEE REPORTS:  (Contributor’s name and/or committee chairperson’s name shown in parentheses following report.)

 

Architectural Review:  No report given. (Barry Miller)

 

Beach:  Nothing to report. (Jim Abel)

 

CICA Clothing:  No report given. (Dotty Fritz)

 

Email & Website: New items on website include photos of CICA Entrance Sign, Wine & Cheese & Progressive Dinner.  There are also links to the Arch. Review Checklist and the standpipe letter.  (Andrea Gilde for John Reber)

 

Erosion:  The committee met and made the following conclusions:  (1) Postpone harbor plantings until fall, (2) Review the planting list for more deer-resistant plants, (3) Finalize availability of plants in fall, (4) Obtain additional plant costs; one estimate has been received from Ronnie’s nursery (5)A visit to a nursery is necessary to determine the size of plants (Ken Knapp)

 

Grass Mowing:  Bills will go out around May 1.  (Ken Knapp)

 

Harbor:  The population in Chesapeake Isle is growing and it is reflected in mooring requests.  We have had 82 so far, and 2 or 3 more are anticipated.  There was a great turn out for Mooring Inspection Day, thanks to all for your time and energy.  Let’s have as good a turnout for Mooring Drop Day (April 5, 2003 at 8:30 am).  Thanks also go out to Eddie Earle for welding a new hitch on the mooring puller trailer and making a new dragging tool to look for lost moorings.  We can hope that it rusts out from lack of use.  (Bill Dryden)

 

Historical:  We received old files from Don Groome’s family, dating back to 1966.  The committee will begin to go through them during the meeting on March 28th.  There will be no historical display at the Spring Dinner due to lack of space at the restaurant..  (Audrey Buck)

 

Legal:  No report given. (Dave Byler)

 

Maintenance:  Several properties need drainpipes/culverts to avoid runoff problems.  Marsh overflowed after rain, but only in front of the berm.  Ditch needs to be opened periodically to keep from flooding beach. (John Bates)

 

Membership: As of Tuesday, March 25th, our number of paid member families stands at 194.  We have received orders for 102 bathhouse keys and 57 shuffleboard cabinet keys.  15 copies of the materials packet given to each new homeowner (contains By-Laws, restrictive covenants, rules & regulations, etc.) were made, as we were completely out of them. 10 sets of the membership directory were also printed.    (Les Fritz)

 

Newsletter:  Please have all copy to Les by April 7th.  The newsletter will be printed on  the 21st or 22nd and will be mailed out or delivered on the 23rd or the 24th.(Andrea Gilde)

 

Pavilion: No report given. (Gay Turner)

 

Roads:  John Bates & Mike Szep met to put together a list of all road-related tasks needing to be done.  We had a lot of washouts due to the melting snow and heavy rain.  Most have been repaired.  We still have quite a few potholes, but those repairs are underway as well.  The School bus sign at the community entrance will be moved so as not to obstruct the new community sign.  (John Bates for Don Schooley)

 

Social:  No report given.  The Spring Dinner is the next event on April 12.  (Sue Seeley)

 

Town Watch:  Nothing to report. (Harry Hite)

 

Tractor:  Ed Earle did some welding on the mower, put and attached new blades.  The mower is ready for work.  Thanks to  Ed for his work. (John Bates)

 

Community Entrance Sign Committee Final Report – The finished community entrance sign was placed on Rt. 272 on March 17th of this year.  The complete file on the development of the sign and costs encountered with it was submitted to the historical committee.  As was reported in a previous meeting, the sign ended up being about $5 over budget.  A total of $505 was spent.  There was no left over material other than paint, which has been turned over to the maintenance committee for safekeeping in case a color match is ever needed for a touch up job.  At this time, the committee, consisting of Sal Tulumello, Les Fritz, and John Bates, requests to be dismissed. Many thanks are offered to all those who worked on the sign, and especially to Sal, who was the one force responsible for making a dream and a design a reality at the entrance to Chesapeake Isle. (Les Fritz)

 

 

OLD BUSINESS

·        Architectural Review Committee Checklist – has been finalized.  It is on the website, and will be distributed to all new home/property owners, as well as to real estate agents and builders.  It will also go out in the next newsletter (April).  The committee is putting together list of realtors & builders in the county.

·        Wapiti Conference Center & Campground – A copy of the Wapiti decision papers from the County Zoning commission handed out to all board members.  The Wapiti plan to develop a conference center and campground was approved.  This affects Chesapeake Isle mostly in terms of the road & increased traffic.  It was suggested that we initiate a letter writing campaign to encourage the State Highway Authority to improve Rt. 272, possibly widening the road with a shoulder to accommodate all the new development going on along Turkey Point Rd. John Bates is researching the possibility of developing a parallel bike/hike trail.  This matter was tabled until the next meeting.

·        Extra community workdays – harbor area and roads need some extra work, harbor.  Committees need to schedule work as needed.

·        Group membership with Boat US – this idea was brought up last summer; there is a possibility that we can all join as a CICA group, and our membership fees would be half the normal rate.  There is no new information, but Bill Dryden will research the matter with Boat US.

·        Vandalism at Pavilion – There has been a recurring problem with picnic tables at the pavilion being moved and arranged in such a way as they block the doors and anyone needing to get into the pavilion has to move them around.  Those tables are quite heavy and many of our community members cannot move them themselves.  We ask that those who have been rearranging the tables please stop doing so.  It is a nuisance and someone may get injured trying to access the inside of the pavilion.  There has also been some vandalism, including horseshoe stakes being pulled out of the ground.  Neighborhood Watch is aware of the problems and is patrolling the area.  Kids should not be skateboarding under the pavilion or on the shuffleboard court, or on the docks at the harbor, as these surfaces were not designed for such activities.  The basketball court is good for this purpose, as is the road leading to the harbor when there is not much car/boat traffic. 

 

 

NEW BUSINESS

Loans from members for jetties have been paid down from the original amount of $17500.  We still have $4375 left on the loans.  Rob Green proposed that we pay off the balance of the loan, including accrued interest.  We have adequate funds to pay off this debt, and then we can be ready to move on to another project.

A motion was made by Ken Knapp to pay off the loans, and Verne Orndorff seconded.  All in favor, motion passed.

 

Planning for FY 2003-2004 – The budget planning process for the next fiscal year is starting, all committee chairs will receive a planning worksheet.  A rough draft of  the budget is planned for May meeting. 

 

4th of July Celebration – a new chair for the event is needed.  Volunteers will be sought, and anyone interested should contact any board member, or attend the May board meeting.

 

Neighborhood Watch Committee – A new committee chairperson is needed for the Neighborhood Watch committee.  Contact Harry Hite if interested.

 

NORTH BAY/ERICKSON FOUNDATIONFIND OUT MORE ABOUT NORTHBAY AT WWW.NORTHBAYADVENTURE.COM We had 2 guests from the North Bay/Erickson Foundation to discuss plans for the North Bay Camp currently being developed at the former Bowers Conference Center in Elk Neck State Park.  Pete Albert works for the Erickson Foundation, and Bob Bingham is the Managing Director for the North Bay Camp.  They were here to address our concerns (mainly crowded roads and concerns about type of camp and those it will serve), as well as provide us with information about the camp and its programs and facilities.  Bob McKnight, Mayor of North East, also attended. 

The camp, which is described as an “environmental science educational curriculum and camp”, is being developed in partnership with DNR (Butch Norden, contact) and Rick Smith with Elk Neck State Park. Rich Gilbert is the CICA liaison with the North Bay Foundation.

What is the program about?  North Bay is intended for properly enrolled Maryland middle school children.  It is not targeting “at-risk” youth. They focus on “growing up well”, and “who do I want to be?”, with positive growth and development always the focus.  The curriculum includes environmental science and education.  Kids will come from middle schools anywhere in the state, and stay for 4 days, arriving at about 10 am & leaving about 3 pm on the 4th day. A group will include an entire 6th grade class, teachers & other leaders.  Science, Character & leadership development are also big components, as well as goal development for young teenagers.  The groups will be bused in an out, and there will be no off-site activities during the week.  They will be transported during the school day (after 9 am and before 3 pm), so there will be little increase in traffic during peak commuting times.  During the weekends and summers, the camp will be rented out to youth groups, church groups, sporting events, etc.  The plan is for the weekend/summer rentals to subsidize other costs for the operations of the camp and provide more access for schoolchildren in less affluent areas.  The goal is for the camp to pay for itself in about 18 months.  There may be some facilities available to children in the area as well, when school groups are not using the camp.  Cecil County children, as well as organizations and teams, will be able to schedule and use the facilities including ball fields in the open area entryway to the camp. 

 

Q – what will happen to the property if the camp doesn’t succeed, and are there restrictions for what can/cannot happen on the property?

A – the property is leased for 80 years.  Erickson foundation has high success rate, and there are no alternate plans.  According to the DNR, there would be no way to turn the property into a “high-risk” facility, or juvenile detention facility. 

Q – there have been other camps in the area before, and there are concerns about traffic and multi-use of the road (including buses, hikers, horses, trailers, deer, bike riders, delivery and construction vehicles, proposed lighthouse renovation).  The road is not more than 20 ft. wide and the installation of something like a walking/biking shoulder would improve safety.  There is a danger of people from Chesapeake Isle walking to the North Bay site or other sites in the State Park, as well as campers from the state park campsites walking along the road to visit North Bay.

A – North Bay will support efforts to widen/add a shoulder to the road

Q – will a new sewer system be installed?

A – The current sewer system will be upgraded to accommodate the camp.

 

 

Brief description of the camp – in accordance with the Chesapeake Bay Act, every child in the vicinity of the bay needs to have a “meaningful” Environmental Education about the bay.  Camp will go in the Bower’s center, there are 2 wetlands area, and access to the bay.  There are dormitory facilities, an indoor gym, climbing walls, educational center & laboratory, cameras, computers, living classrooms, games, snack bar, store, crafts, assembly/meeting room, theater/lecture hall, banquet/dining hall, swimming pool (outdoor), bay study lab, guest house speakers, etc.  A boating program and pier will be added (canoes, kayaks, sailboats, limited use of power boats to get kids further out in the bay).  Staff housing is also on sight.  There are also runoff ponds.  About 100 acres is being used for the site, which includes 8 acres of the old Camp Chesapeake site, which will be restore/reforested. 

Q – how many jobs for local residents?

A – Although none are targeted specifically for local residents, there will be about 20 full time positions, and many part time (staff, food service, maintenance)

Q – Is the facility only for Public School children,

A – It is intended primarily for Public schools, but private schools can schedule the property as well

Q – how many 6th grades are there in MD?

A – Approximately 300-400.  The camp will not service all 6th grades in the state each year. 

Q – What is the cost to use the camp?

A – The price per student for 4 day program will be set at $145.  The actual cost will be about $300. There will be some scholarship money for schools that can’t afford the whole program.  Weekend  & summer rentals will pay more, to supplement the public schools.  The camp plans to “pay for itself” in 18 months due to weekend & summer rentals.

Q – Will the Bower’s Building be retained?

A – No, it was impossible to move the building without damaging it irreparably.  Stone from the fireplace will be used in other areas of the camp, and one building on the site will be named “Bower’s Center”.

 

The camp plans to break ground in Jan 04, and open in spring of ’05.  For more information, visit the North Bay Website at www.northbayadventure.com , or contact Bob Bingham at 410-242-2880 x 8044

 

 

 

CLOSE OF BUSINESS:  The next meeting will be held on May 8th, at 7:30 p.m. at the pavilion.

 

Having no further business to discuss, the meeting was adjourned at 9:35 p.m.

 

Respectfully submitted,

 

 

 

Andrea Gilde, Secretary

 

CC:            Committee Chairpersons

                  Elk Neck State Park Rangers